25

Unedited.

Maryam woke up very early the next morning and went into the kitchen to prepare breakfast for her family. She fried eggs and toasted some bread. She was very glad she didn't have to go to work today for it was weekend - a Saturday and she wasn't on morning shift. She would have enough time to make it up to Sa'eed for not agreeing to allow him throw Nafisa out of the house in the middle of the night and for angering him. She set the table and made her way to Manal's room to wake them up for breakfast.

On getting to the entrance to her room, she hesitated before knocking on the door. She had no idea if her husband was still mad at her or not. Without waiting for a reply, she twisted the doorknob and walked into the room. Sa'eed had his arms wrapped around Manal and they were both still sleeping. She smiled at the sight and adjusted the duvet on them. She didn't want to disturb their peaceful moment. She kissed both of their foreheads before exiting the room. She went back to theirs and plopped into bed. Unknowingly, her eyelids met and she drifted into slumber again.

• • •

Nafisa woke up late due to the previous day's ruction and went to the kitchen to start her morning chores only to find the table already set for breakfast. She heaved a sigh of relief and went back to her room. She made sure the door was securely locked before she brought out the envelop given to her by Mukthar. She emptied the entire content of the envelop on the bed and lay on it with a broad smile on her face. She couldn't believe her luck. Things were finally falling into place for her. Soon enough, he will start showering her with more gifts - she was confident. She wouldn't let him go for she had hit a jackpot! Her ticket to richness! "Very soon, I won't have to work as a house help anymore. Very soon, I will become very rich and leave this godforsaken house and—" she was cut her by the loud beeping of her cellphone. She picked it up and took a look at the caller ID — it was unknown. She wanted to ignore the call, but on second thought, she decided to pick up - it might be Mukthar. She didn't want to miss her chances. "Hello?"

"Hi, beauty," came the now familiar voice of Mukthar.

Nafisa thanked her stars she didn't reject or ignore the call. She plastered a smile on her face and cleared her voice to make it smoother. "Who am I speaking to?" She asked, feigning ignorance.

"It's your new friend, baby girl, Mukthar," he replied, coyly.

"Oh," was all Nafisa could reply.

"How was your night? Hope your parents didn't bash you?" He asked, humorously.

"They didn't," Nafisa replied, hiding the fact she wasn't living with her parents, but her employers from him.

"Good." He chuckled.

"I wanted calling you yesterday to know if you got back to your house safely, but..." She trailed off.

"But what, beauty?" He asked. 

"I didn't have airtime... Actually I still don't, but I will—"

"Which network do you use?" He asked, cutting her off.

Nafisa couldn't control a huge smile from appearing on her face. She was getting him exactly where she wanted! "Airtel."

"Don't worry about going out to get it, I will quickly send recharge card to you," he said.

Nafisa had to control herself from squealing. She sighed before speaking; "you didn't have to, but anyways thank you and thank you also for dropping me home last night, it meant a lot to me. Thanks."

"Oh come on, that was nothing. I wanted to."

"Alright. Bye."

"Wait... Please wait."