37

Throughout that night, Maryam was restless. She couldn't sleep peacefully after what Saeed had said. The words just kept ringing like a bell in her ears. She couldn't believe Saeed broke his promise to her - the promise to never force her into making a decision she did not like. How could he do that to her!

She tossed around in bed, turning her back on Saeed. She refused to succumb to what Saeed wanted, but she knew she could not continue without his consent so she decided to try all she could to convince him. She was very well aware Saeed didn't like it whenever they had an argument and he couldn't take her silence. She decided to use that to her advantage. "Let's see if he won't give in to what I want tomorrow." Maryam muttered underneath her breath and closed her eyes, waiting impatiently for sleep to overcome her. She couldn't wait for the next day to convince Saeed to allow her continue her job - the job she was so passionate about.

• • •

Immediately after subhi prayer, Maryam went into the bathroom, did all she had to do and emerged. She went into their closet and dressed up for work as usual. She didn't forget their conversation with Saeed the previous day, but she had a strong feeling Saeed would take his words back. He would not be able to snatch her peace of mind from her - she knew.

~~~

After subhi prayer, Saeed spent some extra few minutes praying to Allah to
Make everything right in his family once more. He prayed to Him to make Maryam more understanding. He did not make that decision because he wanted her to deprive her of her happiness and make her unhappy. Contrary to that, he just wanted his children to have good upbringing and Nafisa was not the right person for the job. From the very first time he set his eyes on her, he knew there was something amidst the innocent behavior of hers and looks could be deceiving at times. He just wanted Maryam to be the one to take care of their children instead of some stranger. The idea of another person taking care of the children when it should be them didn't sit well with him at all. He sighed. He knew in his heart Maryam was an exuberant person and making her understand his decision would not be very hard.

Sauntering out of the masjid, Saeed got back home and met Maryam all dressed up. He smiled a little, ignoring her temerarious mind. He walked up to her and pecked her on the lips. "Good morning, habibty." He greeted.

Maryam looked at him puzzled and wondered if he had already forgotten what he did to her the previous day and if so then she had not. "Good morning." She answered and went towards the bed to pick her handbag and ambled back to him. "I'm going to work."

"Work." Saeed stated. "What work are you talking about?" He asked, his gaze never wavering from hers.

"My job at the hospital of course." She replied with furrowed brows.

Saeed smirked and took her hands in his. "You're going to resign today. Have you forgotten?" He asked.

"I don't want to resign. I won't resign." She said, adamantly.

Saeed raked his hand into his hair, signing. "We've already talked about all these and came to a conclusion. I am not changing my mind, habibty."

Maryam gritted her teeth and tears prickled her eyes. She really didn't want to quit her job and Saeed making her quit was really unfair on her side. "Please, habibi don't do this to me. You promised me... You promised never to force me into a decision I don't like. You're breaking your promise and you know that's a sin."

"I'm not doing this because I want to, habibty. I'm doing this because I have to. You don't know how heavy your words weighed..." He trailed off.

"I didn't mean what I said! I just said that in a fit of rage. I'd never kill my baby. Please reconsider your decision."