35

Few days later, Manal's health improved greatly, so the doctor discharged them. Manal got really sad when she heard the news of her discharge for she didn't want to return back to that house. To Nafisa's cruelty. She preferred to stay in the hospital forever if that was possible. She knew for sure Nafisa would never allow what happened before her accident slide. She would surely deal with her for what Khadijah had done.

"I don't want to go home." Manal suddenly blurted to her parents who were busy parking her belongings and getting ready to leave the hospital. They were both taken aback by her statement. Maryam couldn't understand why Manal didn't want to go back to their home because kids do not like staying in the hospital due to the smell, injections and the doctors themselves. The sight of a doctor scares every child, then why was  Manal not eager to leave the hospital as she had expected? - she thought deeply.

Saeed stopped what he was doing and moved closer to her. "Why, baby?" He asked, his suspicion about something being wrong increasing. "Why don't you want to go back home?"

Maryam fixed her gaze on Manal, anticipating her reply. She found her attitude very strange that night.

"I... I like it here in the hospital." Manal stuttered.

"You like it here?" Saeed asked in disbelief.

"What are you saying, Manal?" Maryam went closer to her and fixed her gaze on her. She looked at her strangely. "What's wrong."

"I just don't want to go back home." She voiced out.

"You don't want to go back home? Why? There must be a reason." Maryam said, laying emphasis on the word 'must'.

Manal didn't know the reply to give to her parents. She was still very scared of Nafisa so she blurted the first thing that came to her mind. "I don't like staying in my room alone."

"Come here." - Maryam smiled. - "because you get nightmares right?"

Manal nodded in affirmation.

"Don't worry, baby, once we get back home, you will be staying with us for the time being." Sa'eed assured. "Okay?"

Sa'eed's words really put Manal's mind at rest. At least now Nafisa wouldn't be able to torment her at night. He managed to convince her to go back home with them and he promised himself to be more vigilant now.

~~~

The car screeched to a halt in front of Saeed and Maryam's residence. He pull the key out of the ignition and hurried to the other side of the car to open Maryam's door for her. She muttered 'thanks' before emerging from the car.

Saeed's gaze darted to Manal who was sleeping peacefully in the backseat of the car. He opened her door as well and picked her into his arms. "Manal will be staying in our room for the time being." He informed.

"Alright." - Maryam's lips curved up into a smile. - "let's go in."

Immediately they rang the doorbell, Nafisa opened the door. She was not surprised at all to see them back for Maryam had told her over the phone beforehand. She ushered them in with a smiling face and attempted to take Manal from Saeed. "It's okay." He muttered to her and headed straight to their room.

Due to exhaustion, Maryam plopped down on the sofa with her eyes shut. The past few days had been really stressful for her. She had not even slept properly and comfortably like she used to. She just needed a comfortable and long sleep to make up for the sleepless nights she had had. 

"Should I get you a glass of water?" Nafisa asked, observing how tired Maryam looked.

"Yes, please." She replied, her eyes still shut.