58

Dedicated to Muslimah-Warrior

Staring incredulously at her cellphone, Mrs. Hauwa's words of encouragement resurged into her mind. She was really missing her husband a lot already. She also wanted to inquire if he arrived back home safely. Her mother was right. She should never allow her ego get in the way of their relationship - she smiled and dialed his number on her cellphone. "Assalamu'alaykum, habibi." She greeted, immediately he received the call.

"Wa'alaykum salam." He replied in his usual calm voice and much to Maryam's disappointment. He didn't sound happy to speak to her - she was pained by this.

"Sorry for not calling earlier." She apologized. "Hope you arrived back home safely."

"Alhamdulilahi, I did, few hours ago." He replied.

"How's Zainab? My regards to her please."

"InshaAllah." He muttered. "Where is Manal? Is she close by? I want to speak to her."

"She's in the living room with Sumaiya." She replied. "Hold on, I will get her on the phone right away."

"Thank you."

"Manal! Manal! Come over here. Abi wants to talk to you." She yelled, placing her hand on the speaker.

Manal came running euphorically into the balcony few seconds later.

Maryam handed the cellphone over to her, but not without putting it on speaker first.

"Assalamu'alaykum, baby." Came Sa'eed's voice and unlike the tone he used for her, he sounded really happy to be talking to his daughter.

"Wa'alaykum salam, abi." She replied. "I'm angry with you. You promised not to leave me behind, but you did just that."

"But you were sleeping." He remarked.

"You should have woken me up." She whined.

"I should have." He agreed with a chuckle. "Is my baby still angry with me?"

"Yes." She replied curtly.

"Don't worry, I will make it up to you soon, insha Allah. Am I forgiven now?" He inquired.

Manal seemed to be having a thought whether to forgive him or not. She finally spoke up after a minute or so. "Yes."

"Thanks, baby." He replied. "Hope granny and everyone else is fine."

"Yes."

"...and, I hope you're taking care of ummi like we discussed?" He questioned.

Maryam's eyes shimmered in elation. In spite of their differences with him, he still cared for her. A lot. Swiftly, she collected the cellphone from Manal. "I miss you so much already, habibi." She voiced. She wished she had not taken the decision. She would be with him right now, but then again, she wouldn't have been able to have a hearty talk with her mother. Indeed all things happen for a reason. "I miss you." She repeated.

"Alright..." He trailed off.

"Alright?" Maryam's eyes almost bulged out of their sockets as she queried.

He chuckled. "You were the one who wanted to get away from me so badly."

Maryam remained quiet - what could she say? She knew he was absolutely right. Now she would have to bear the consequence of her action alone. She only wanted to hear him admit he also missed her, but apparently, her wish was not going to be fulfilled.