Chapter 11

On her way home, Khushi's stopped at the temple. Her adoption had led to her developing immense faith in Devi Maiyya. She believed Devi Maiyya always took care of her and that's why despite such tragic circumstances, he had sent guardian angels in the form of Shashi and Garima into her life, who not only adored her but also loved and treated her exactly the way they treated Payal, their own flesh and blood.

In the past, whenever Khushi was worried or faced with a dilemma, she would visit this temple. She would try her level best to coax and cajole Devi Maiyya into giving her what she wanted. Sometimes she would even barter favors. Once she promised Devi Maiyya that she would come to the temple barefoot if she passed her exams with distinction. The barter seemed to work and Khushi was the highest scoring student in the entire institute. Her parents were extremely proud and Khushi was ecstatic. Needless to say, the next day she walked barefoot to the temple.

Over the years, her faith had strengthened. She was religious, she followed all the rituals and she believed that in turn, Devi Maiyya would watch over her. That she would take care of her little needs and wants and when the time was right, she would send a prince into her life, one who would complete her in every way, take care of her small whims and fancies and be there for her when she needed him.

Climbing the white marble steps that led to Devi Maiyya's altar, Khushi's mind relived all instances Devi Maiyya had protected her, only to finally let her down. She wanted to scream and wail and ask her why she had failed and allowed a monster such as Arnav Singh Raizada to take advantage of her helpless situation.

Standing in front of her Devi Maiyya's idol, Khushi had a mental tiff with her. This was her last visit to Devi Maiyya ever, Khushi told her. Because Devi Maiyya had abandoned her in her hour of desperate need. 

"Why", Khushi had asked. When she got no response, she had haughtily stated: "I won't come back here, ever, not even if you call me." And yet, as she thought of not visiting Devi Maiyya ever, a lump formed in her throat.

She would need someone with her throughout her journey. There was a very strong possibility that after what she was going to do, Shashi and Garima might break all ties with her. She might have no one to call family. The sheer thought of being alone until the end of time broke the dam of tears Khushi was desperately trying to hold in and she wept profusely in front of the only person who knew exactly what was happening and why. She couldn't carry out her threat. She needed a friend. She needed her Devi Maiyya.

Khushi was simply sat down in a corner of the temple, resting her head against one of its carved pillars, silently contemplating what the future had in store for her. After what seemed like an eternity, she got up, ready to go home. Her steps felt heavy as though her feet had shackles. But she couldn't turn her back on Devi Maiyya. She looked at the idol and prayed. "Please take care of me wherever I am about to go. I don't know what the future holds for me, but you do. Please take care of me. Please."

This time there was no barter, no incentive. Just a silent plea for help because there was no one else Khushi could go to.

*****

Khushi reached home, just as Shashi Gupta was stepping out to look for her. 

"Its been more than two hours since you left with Arnav Singh Raizada for a cup of tea. And you didn't even take your cell phone with you when you left. Where've you been?" questioned a worried Garima. She knew she was being unreasonable. Khushi rarely gave them a reason to be worried and yet she had a sense of something untoward had taken place.

Khushi put on a bright fake smile and told her parents to stop worrying. "Arnav Singh Raizada was the same man I accidentally bumped into at the fashion show in Sheesh Mahal. He came today to offer me the job of a Trainee Designer at AR Designs." 

She wasn't lying, merely omitting the most crucial details.

Her parents were ecstatic. Their daughter's talent had finally found acceptance. AR was a multinational company. Newspapers were filled with speculations about AR's latest expansion into the European Markets. This would be the perfect opportunity. She would finally get a platform to showcase her talent to the world. They were both emotional.

"Khushi I always knew that you were God's special child. And that he would always watch over you. I am so happy that you have been presented with this opportunity. Make the most of it. I am sure you'll do very well. You are both talented and hardworking. And now you have the ideal platform to showcase your skill. Make the most of it. Our blessings are always with you." 

Shashi Gupta got up to give his favorite girl a bear hug. Unable to contain his sentiments, he was about to leave, when Khushi stopped him.

"Dad, I haven't completed what I wanted to say. Mr. Raizada has offered me the position but I will need to move to New Delhi."

Sensing hesitation on her parent's part, she quickly continued:  "I tried asking him if I could work from their Lucknow office, but he refused. I really didn't have much of a choice but to agree."

Shashi was concerned. He had anticipated the occasional travel but moving to an entirely different city didn't sit too well with him. "Can I see your contract?" he asked.

"I don't have a copy with me right now but Mr. Raizada said that he will bring it along tomorrow morning when he comes."

"And why will Mr. Raizada be visiting us tomorrow morning?"

"Because he has bought the land our shop is on. He said he wanted to discuss the terms for the new lease agreement."

"Since when have you known the land on which our shop is situated is for sale?"

"For the last two days." And before Shashi could question her any further, she hurriedly added:  "I did request to keep the terms of the lease reasonable, given our personal circumstances. Mr. Raizada is a very kind-hearted person, and he readily agreed", said Khushi not believing a word of the last sentence she spoke.

Shashi Gupta, however, believed every word that came out of Khushi's mouth. He knew his daughter didn't lie. "God has been very kind to us Garima by sending Mr. Raizada into our lives. He has not only ensured a bright future for Khushi but has also come into our lives like an angel when we didn't know where to go. I will forever be indebted to him."

Khushi heard her father profusely heaping praises on Arnav Singh Raizada, she felt like throwing up. Her parents were making him out to be some sort of a demi-God when in reality, he was a near cousin of the devil. Before she lost her cool and told her parents the truth about ASR, she quickly excused herself. She had a lot to pack. She would have to leave the day after.

Shashi laughed mistaking her urgency for excitement. "I am so happy for her Garima", he said when Khushi was out of earshot. "I always wanted to do the best for her but felt that our financial circumstances might become a hindrance to her succeeding in life. I will always be grateful to God for having found a way to ensure a future filled with happiness for my daughter. Khushi is truly a special child and I am proud of the fact that I am the man who raised her."

Garima too had tears in her eyes. She agreed with everything her husband said. She had hoped and prayed that Khushi would find all the success and happiness in life and today her prayers had been answered. She would send an extra batch of laddoos as an offering to the temple. Devi Maiyya had indeed been extremely kind and merciful to them.

Shashi and Garima were sitting on the verandah of their house reminiscing instances from Khushi's childhood when Garima excused herself under the pretext of wanting to help Khushi pack. The truth was that she wanted to spend the last few hours with her daughter. She didn't know when she would get to see her again and she truly hoped it would be sooner rather than later.