Chapter 49

Arnav Singh Raizada blew hard a ring of smoke into the dark and cold night. He was standing, all alone, in the courtyard of the hotel. Clad in a charcoal gray Versace winter long coat embellished with black geometric motifs and a black Burberry classic cashmere check scarf, ASR's mind was constantly going back to the conversation he had accidentally overheard - the one between Khushi Kumari Gupta and whom his instinct described as Aman Bansal's mother Lata.

"Hello Lata Aunty," the voice had crooned, making him cringe from within. He wanted to forget Khushi Kumari Gupta, forget that he ever encountered her in his life, rewind his life to the fashion show and play things differently. He didn't want to hear any more sugar-coated conversations that took place between this wonderful daughter-in-law and her would-be mother-in-law. He had to grudgingly admit that Khushi would make a wonderful daughter-in-law and a wonderful wife. The thought made him angry. He banged his fist on his desk, rattling the contents in the process. He wanted to break something, he wanted to cause bodily harm. And because he didn't want any more destruction than what had already ensued, he decided to go out for a smoke. Arnav Singh Raizada didn't smoke, except when he felt helpless.

The balcony door was open and the wind had a slight chill to it. He donned his coat and scarf and just as he was about to open the door and step out he heard Khushi's unmistakable timbre.

"Yes Aunty, I am aware of the confusion. I'm not sure what happened, but I wanted to let you know that all of this is one giant misunderstanding."

He stopped. He didn't want to eavesdrop. And yet he did. Just this one time. He put his ear to the thick mahogany door to hear her better. "I understand Aunty, and I want you to know that this is in no way Aman's fault."

A pause.

"I know you're extremely angry and rightfully so. Things have gotten too far. All I am trying to ensure is that they don't go any further. I apologize on behalf of my family and I hope you're truly able to forgive us. Please don't hold this against Aman."

Another pause.

"Aman is a great friend Aunty, and he has been there for me during some very difficult times. I value his place in my life as a friend, but that's really all we are. Nothing more."

A bigger pause.

"I do."

Yet another pause.

"My family doesn't know about him as yet."

The pauses were beginning to irk ASR. He wanted to go out, shake the living daylights out of her and ask her to fill in the blanks. But he stood silently behind the door waiting for the conversation to get over.

"Thank you, Aunty, for understanding. I'll let Aman know that you wished to speak with him."

The sound of muffled footsteps indicated that she had moved away. He opened the door and stepped out, and his eye spotted a beautiful gold charm bracelet on the carpet in front of him. He knew whom the bracelet belonged to. He had seen her fidget with it many times. He picked it up and put it in his pocket, then proceeded to go outside to do what he intended.

*****

The lights were off in Aman Bansal's room. The TV was on. And on TV Dharmendra was busy telling his lady love, "Basanti, in kutton ke saamne mat nachna."

With two bowls of popcorn on their respective lap, cozily wrapped around a blanket, Aman and Khushi were busy watching the Bollywood classic Sholay, or so it would seem. Khushi's mind was obviously elsewhere. Half an hour later, the movie ended, lights came on and Khushi bid Aman a good night to make her way to her room.