Chapter 63

Arnav Singh Raizada was not happy. He was wearing a Midnight Blue sherwani, an exclusive creation by AR Designs. He had refused all the other traditional colors, white, red, maroon, and even yellow. His Di had refused his choice, black. They had finally agreed on Midnight Blue, which was close enough to black and yet not quite. Arnav was not satisfied.

"Di, why couldn't this be black?"

"Chhote, black is considered a bad omen." Anjali was busy adjusting their family's heirloom necklace around his neck. She then proceeded to pin a broach on the traditional turban that adorned the heads of grooms. Fully decked, Arnav, reminded her of her father. She smudged some kohl out of her eyes and smeared it behind Arnav's ears.

"May Devi Maiyya protect you from evil," Arnav smirked.

"You know what I feel about all these rituals," gently taking his sister's hand into his. "I should have stuck to my demand of getting married at the Registrar's office."

Anjali smiled. She knew exactly what Arnav thought about all these rituals. And yet, she knew why Arnav had agreed to a traditional Indian wedding. Because Khushi had wanted it. When Arnav had casually asked her about her idea of the perfect wedding, she had told him. And now, Arnav wanted to gift her the perfect wedding.

Anjali remembered the day when she, along with her husband had gone to the Gupta house to hand over the shagun, gifts for the bride from the groom's family.

"Shashiji, Garimaji, from today, Khushi is part of the Raizada family," she said as she placed the decorated plate with all the gifts on Khushi's lap. Before she could continue, her husband turned to the family and said: "Shashiji, Garimaji, we would very much like it if the wedding took place in the next two weeks along with Payal's."

Shashi and Garima exchanged glances. Their financial situation wasn't that good at the moment. With Shashi on bedrest and the sweetshop not doing so well, Payal's wedding was being funded by Khushi's salary. How, then, could they afford another wedding on the same day? They didn't have the economic stamina to deal with the additional expenses. And what about dowry? Sure, nobody asked for anything but that didn't mean they didn't expect anything. It would be rude if the girl went to her future house with nothing but the clothes on her back. And then there was the status of the Raizadas. The Gupta's couldn't just give them any gift. It would have to be something that matched their status. Could they afford something like that?

Sensing some hesitation at Shyam's suggestion, Anjali asked: "Is there a problem?"

"No, Anjaliji," said Garima hastily. She didn't want them to think they were unwilling. But then there was so much to think about before they could say yes. "It's just that the wedding... within such short notice... I don't want to sound like a prude but the expenses..." Shashi held Garima's hand to stop her from speaking any further. He looked at Garima, his eyes saying what he couldn't voice. If Khushi's happiness lay in the wedding, they would find a way. They had the house, the shop, they could mortgage their assets, but they wouldn't let money stand in the way of their daughter's happiness.

Both Anjali and Shyam saw through it all. And they smiled.

"Shashiji, Garimaji," began Anjali, "we have a tradition in the Raizada family. The groom gifts his bride something on the wedding night. Arnav wants to gift Khushi the wedding. So if you'll allow us, we would like to pay for the wedding completely."

"And come to think of it," added Shyam, "since both the sisters are getting married on the same day, why don't we take care of all the arrangements? That way Shashiji and Garimaji don't need to worry about anything. The Sheesh Mahal has just been recently renovated and I think it will be the perfect venue for both the weddings."