Chapter 12

It was past midnight when Khushi finished packing the last of her items into an oversized attaché. Absentmindedly chewing the back of her pen, she continued to pry through her list ticking items off making sure she had taken everything. Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, towel, fragrance oil, clothes, jewelry...That was when she noticed Garima standing next to her bed, holding an extra-large box full of jalebis.

"Ma, there is no space in my suitcase," she pouted

"Then hold these in your hand," said Garima as she shrugged her shoulders. "These won't anyway last past the first hour."

"But Ma, I'm going flying to New Delhi, not taking the train. These won't be allowed past security."

"They won't last until security."

Khushi smiled. She was surely going to miss her Ma and Babuji. She looked up and saw the glow in the dark stars still hanging from her ceiling. She would have to pack them too. She began to climb on top of her bed to take the stars down.

"Khushi, it's really late, why don't you sleep now and finish the rest of your packing tomorrow? You still have another day before you leave, remember?"

"No Ma, I'm not really sleepy. Besides I want to spend all of tomorrow with you'll and not waste any time packing."

Garima understood. "Once you're done, come and sleep with your Babuji and me. Your room is a mess anyway."

"I will." 

Shashi and Garima Gupta were regular folks who would never approve of what she was about to do. She didn't know if they would want to associate themselves with her if ever they found out. Sighing, she decided to make the most of whatever time she had left with them.

*****

The Gupta household was seeing an unusual amount of activity in the early hours of the morning the next day. It was Khushi's last day in Gomti Nagar before she left for New Delhi, but to an unsuspecting onlooker, it more seemed like Khushi was going off to fight a war and might never return home alive.

Garima, try as she might, couldn't seem to get a hold of herself, crying at the smallest of things and Shashi had a lot of advice to give his daughter who was leaving the nest.

Just as the clock struck 8, there was a loud knock on the door. Khushi stilled. She knew who would be on the other side of the door when Shashi Gupta made his way to the front.

*****

ASR was a man of few words. And that became more than evident in the half-hour he spent with Khushi's family. He politely refused breakfast, as they didn't have his usual toast and orange juice, opted instead for a cup of chai and got straight to the point.

He first spoke to Shashi, detailing the new lease terms for his Devi Maiyya Mishtan Bhandar, making sure Shashi understood all the clauses and implications in the new contract. Once satisfied, he turned his attention to Khushi, slipping a small white envelope in her hands. It contained her offer letter to join AR Designs as a Trainee Designer and a one-way flight ticket to New Delhi. He told her that someone would pick her up at the New Delhi airport and would drop her off at the apartment AR leased out to its employees.

"But there is no need for that", interjected Garima. "Shashi's sister lives in New Delhi and will be more than happy to host Khushi."

"That won't be necessary Mrs. Gupta", said Arnav as a matter-of-fact. "AR expects all its employees to stay in company accommodation."

Garima was about to say something when Shashi intervened. "I understand company policy Mr. Raizada but my sister will be very upset that Khushi won't be staying with her. It would be great if you could make an exception and let Khushi stay with her aunt for a week before she takes up her position with AR.

"You've already been extremely kind to us. Please do us this one last favor."

Arnav shrugged. It would take him another 10 days to wrap up things in Lucknow. Khushi could spend that time with her aunt.

Having completed what he had come to do, Arnav made his way out. Khushi followed him on her mother's insistence, albeit unwillingly.