Chapter 50

Castello Sforzesco better known as the Sforza Castle is perhaps one of Italy's most famous castles. The people of Italy have always shared a love-hate sentiment with this unique piece of architecture. The construction of the castle began in the late 14th Century and didn't end until the early 20th Century.

Once home to powerful kings, dukes, and viscounts, the castle has been a symbol of tyranny and foreign domination over the people of Italy.

"Many times in history, the citizens of Italy have tried to attack and demolish the hated building", the tour guide stated. "It was only after the unification of Italy, in the 19th century, that the castle was turned into a centre of culture and became a symbol of pride for the people of Milan."

Anjali and Shyam had managed to find a mound of neatly stacked bricks to sit on while the tour guide continued explaining the significance of the castle. The sight-seeing tour had been their idea. They had literally blackmailed Arnav to come along, only for him to discover that Khushi and Aman had been invited as well. Throughout their ride on the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus, Arnav was getting increasingly angry with the giggles and muffled laughter that constantly drifted his way from their end. He was mentally ticking off items he could later pick on Aman Bansal for. He didn't want to create a scene before his Di, especially after what she'd told him on her arrival.

"Why Di?" he had questioned Anjali when she had thrown a tantrum like a five-year-old to book this tour.

"Because I'm a tourist and I want to behave like one."

When Arnav gave her a quizzical glare, she added: "Its rare that Shyam and I get away just by ourselves. And considering the fact that this may be our last vacation in a while, I want to make the most of it."

When Arnav continued to give her a puzzled look, Anjali elaborated.

"Caring for a baby takes time and effort...and energy."

"But I thought Shyam's mother was watching Anya."

"She is."

"Then?"

"I'm not talking about Anya. I'm talking about Anya's brother or sister."

"But Anya doesn't have a..." As realization struck Arnav, the confusion on his face turned into a large grin. "Congratulations Di," he said taking Anjali into a bear hug. "Are you happy?"

"I am Chhote. I am. I never thought I could have so much happiness for myself. But I really am. And I am thankful to God every day for it."

"Well then, I'm happy for you."

The conversation had turned a different direction. "Chhote, you know how since Amma and Baba left us, we've always been there for each other. But somehow during that time we got busy in our own lives. Then I married Shyam. Nobody thought it would last, but it did. Shyam is the best thing that ever happened to me, Chhote."

"I'm really glad to hear it. You've started smiling a lot more since he came into your life."

"What I never told you was, that before I married Shyam, every night I would wake up screaming. I had nightmares. Never remembered what they were about, except that I would wake up very afraid."

When Arnav kept quiet, refusing to acknowledge his inner turmoil, Anjali soldiered on. Taking his hand gently in hers, looking him in the eye, Anjali dared to acknowledge what she knew all her life. "Chhote, I know you're troubled by nightmares too! And the only cure to that is to find your Shyam Manohar Jha."

*****

"Anjali, care for a walk?" asked Shyam. The tour guide blabbered on some more about the various centuries each of the castle walls were built and then fortified. Anjali was looking bored and exhausted. Although it was a cold day, the sun was shining brightly. Squinting her eyes from her sitting position to look up at Shyam, she asked: "Where to?"

"I spotted an ice cream truck at the entrance to the castle. How about I treat you to a strawberry sundae."

The smile Anjali gave him was priceless. Owing to her pregnancy, she had been craving strawberries. She was touched Shyam had noticed, despite her not mentioning anything to him. She got up, dusted off her trousers and looped her arm into his.

"Thank you", she said sincerely. "Thank you for everything."

"Not yet my dear," he winked and called Aman to join them. When Anjali gave him another confused look, Shyam explained: "While you were busy catching up on your sleep, I had a long conversation with Aman. We're all on rooting for the same team. What more, it seems we've won more than half our battle, for according to Aman, Khushi is quite in love with Arnav."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Anjali was ecstatic.

"We don't know if Arnav reciprocates the feeling," he said, quite as a matter of fact.

"Of course he does Shyam. Doesn't his behavior explain it all? You of all the people know that Chhote had originally thought of employing Khushi as his..." her voice trailed off. She didn't know if Aman knew about the horrible proposal and she didn't want to insult Khushi in front of him.

"As his Business Developer", completed Aman. "I know Di, and I am also aware of how things progressed from there onwards. Khushi told me all about it."

Anjali chuckled. "Chhote is jealous. He can't stand Khushi and you being so close to each other. No wonder he called me at 2.30 am to ask about your engagement."

"He did what?"

"He called me at 2.30 in the morning to ask me how sure was I that you and Khushi were engaged. It seems it isn't the expansion but something else that's keeping his mind occupied at the moment."

Suddenly Anjali had clapped. The men stared at her. She smiled.

"Chhote has never been known to show patience. If he genuinely believes that Khushi will choose someone else, he will do everything in his power to change it. I think we should continue this charade between you and Khushi and see where this takes us."

Aman rolled his eyes, and Shyam chuckled. "You're going to get me killed," said Aman, but smiled. "I love ASR as a brother and anything I can do to make his life happier, I will. But," Aman paused. Anjali looked at him questioningly, to which he replied, "Di, I think you should talk with Khushi. She can't help ASR if she doesn't know the entire truth."

Both Anjali and Shyam understood what Aman was talking about. As painful as it was going to be for her, she would have to do this. Shyam walked right next to her and gently squeezed her shoulders.

"You don't have to do it alone this time Anjali," he said, his eyes reflecting the volume of love and respect he had for his wife. "We'll do this together."

And once again Anjali thanked her guardian angel for bringing Shyam into her life.