2.17 Ominous Journey (1)

The land of Yanshi, located beyond a mountainous range on the northern part of the continent of Zuo, was rich in minerals and natural metals. Hence, it was a precious existence for the many big and small sects in jianghu. Similarly, it is coveted by normal laymen alike, as it was also rich in gold.

However, the journey there was most definitely not a walk in the park.

The first half of the journey felt almost deceiving, with travellers having to pass an expansive land that was blessed with a year-long perpetual Spring season. Flowers bloom and petals dance in the air, creating illusion of a blessed land. If one were to close their eyes and listen, they could hear the wind and breeze creating a symphonic flute-like melody, coaxing any weak-willed person to succumb to the beauty of nature.

 If one were to close their eyes and listen, they could hear the wind and breeze creating a symphonic flute-like melody, coaxing any weak-willed person to succumb to the beauty of nature

However, seasoned cultivators could sense that beneath this pretty façade lied the rotten stench of death. The myriad of colourful floras in this beautiful splendour was actually some of the most poisonous plants known to man. In fact, it was easy to come to such conclusions, especially when noting that there were no animals roaming around the area, not even insects.

This was the kingdom of the flowers, and they possessed no qi or will, just trying their best to enamour any possible fleshy bodies to become their nutrients underground.

Nevertheless, if one was wary and regulated their qi properly, they would be able to pass this temptation without any issue. After all, the flowers just tried to entice, but did nothing else. There were no attacks or hidden man-eating plant traps.

After passing the fifth bone-white skeleton hidden beneath some peach-coloured flowering bush, YuLan did not bat an eye anymore. Xiao Zi and Zhen Zhu had also gathered their wits after their initial apprehension and vocalized pity on such deceitful beauty.

At their last lamentation, YuLan and Cao Lu inadvertently glanced towards Qing Lian, who was showing a distressed expression upon sighting yet another human skeleton.

"Deceitful beauty, huh... ." Cao Lu rolled her eyes.

The Hui Lin's sect darling was weeping tears for those white bones with no soul, her trembling hands clutching onto Ao Xiang and Zuo BingTan's sleeves. The two older males were ever so gentle -- though Cao Lu preferred the term 'gullible' -- and comforted her with kind expressions. Even Zuo JinHai and Ding Shun from Wu Shan sect quipped in some words of comfort for her.

Of all the males, only Shen Wei looked indifferent. He was pointing out numerous plants' names that he was aware of to his shimei – Yu Mei – and Xiao Zi and Zhen Zhu.

Cao Lu spat and grumbled, low enough for only YuLan to hear, "That black lotus should just stay here to add to the flower collection."

YuLan laughed at her DaShijie's outburst. She knew that Cao Lu would normally not care about whatever Qing Lian wanted to do or act. Cao Lu was always an aloof character. However, she clearly could not be pleased to see her two younger brothers being involved and happily obliged somewhat to cater to Qing Lian's pitiful appearance.