2.27 Knowing You Once More

Zhen Zhu gulped in anxiety. She knew that YuLan would have a perfectly good reason for behaving the way she did.

"Master Lu Bing," YuLan glanced briefly towards the young beast-master, "Can you summon the Fire Phoenix once more and direct it at this man?"

Lu Bing balked with wide eyes. He did conserve some energy, lest he would be incapacitated during his own match later that day. Therefore, he could definitely still summon his Fire Phoenix. However, that did not mean he wanted to do it. He glanced towards the newcomer, who was behaving more strangely with each passing second. 

He had not seen the male practitioner before, and judging from his cultivation, he should be at the Martial-Artist level, same as Lu Bing was. But he summoned his spirit beast just to show off a little to the pretty Ping sect's cultivator named Zhen Zhu. Why would he want to expend his energy to show off to a male?

Zhen Zhu gripped YuLan's arms and took a sharp breath,

"YuLan. You mean he is...?"

Xiao Zi's face paled as she unsheathed her 'Xiang' off her belt, YuLan's own 'Hui' was already unsheathed and casted a white gleam around its cold blade. Zhen Zhu quickly unsheathed her own sword as well.

It was a fraction of a second, but the glint of sharp light that was aimed towards them was quickly blocked off by Zhen Zhu. Of all three, she had the best reflexes. When the object fell towards the ground, they saw a sharp needle; YuLan could still see the faint black threads off it that soon dissipated in the air.

"Miss Xiao Zi," Long TianShan's smile grew colder, "It's just a few days, but why are you treating me so?"

He flicked his sleeves and a burst of silvers flew once again towards the four people. Lu Bing, upon noticing Zhen Zhu in danger, quickly summoned the Fire Phoenix without further qualms.

The bird soared towards Long TianShan, engulfing the silver needles that were still in their trajectory towards them. YuLan, Xiao Zi, and Zhen Zhu formed a row of barrier in front of Lu Bing. After all, while he was summoning the Fire Phoenix, he could not do much to help them in offensive battle. The clang of blades against needles resounded as if they were blades against the mightiest of sabers.  Then the needles fell to the ground.

The Fire Phoenix's pair of wings spanned and engulfed Long TianShan. Although the bird was not as large as the one Ao Xiang had shown them, it quickly covered the man's upper body as Long TianShan let out an inhuman sounding scream.

YuLan could see the black fogs wriggling as they were burnt by the fire.

It only lasted at most five intakes of breath, but the commotion had drawn some spectators. Initially the other people only thought the five of them were engaged in a friendly match. But the way Long TianShan was wailing as if someone was murdering him, some of them had begun to unsheathe their own weapons. Some of them were looking in awe at the Fire Phoenix. Lu Bing's qi, though not as powerful as Ao Xiang's, was strong. His summoned Fire Phoenix looked regal and menacing as its fire licked through Long TianShan's upper body.

Then Lu Bing gasped and knelt to the ground, panting with trembling legs.

The Fire Phoenix gradually grew smaller, turning into burnt embers of fire that finally scattered completely in the empty air.

YuLan, Zhen Zhu, and Xiao Zi stood in horror, as the initially screaming Long TianShan soon resumed his initial calm expression, his graceful smile now looking twisted.

"The power bestowed to me is truly marvellous," he turned his palms in wonder as he chuckled to himself. Then without warning, he stepped on his heels to fly forward.