2.25 Zuo Shan'er

Princess Zuo Shan'er smiled tenderly as she checked her appearance in front of the large bronze mirror.

Satisfied with her flawless appearance, she turned her slim frame to take a look at her appointed room closely. It was much smaller than her courtyard in the Imperial Palace, but at least it was clean. And during her stay in Hui Lin sect, although she had to be somewhat self-sufficient, all meals would still be provided for by the sect.

To convince Lady Mei Gui to bring her along to Hui Lin sect, Zuo Shan'er had to sacrifice bringing her own private maids along. Even Lady Mei Gui did not bring maids.

All the maids and eunuchs that were brought along with the entourage, belonged to the Emperor.

Nevertheless, Zuo Shan'er would gladly choose this inconvenience all over again. She knew that if she did not take matters into her own hands by throwing bits of tantrums, acting spoiled, and utilizing some connections, she would not have been able to come along.

-----------

Although Zuo Shan'er did not come from the direct lineage of the Emperor's bloodline, she was still a member of the extended Imperial Family. As a Princess, she was given the privilege of being able to visit the inner courtyards and somewhat maintain cordial relationships with some younger Royal Princes and Princesses.

She was smart enough to be patient and observe the politics and different characters involved in the harem. She watched and heard how a number of smaller Imperial Concubines lost their lives because they wanted the Emperor's favour. Zuo Shan'er knew, ever since the Empress passed, the best course of outcome was for those women to lay low. Who asked them to be too eager, too early, to climb the branch to be a Phoenix. Zuo Shan'er thought, those foolish concubines only had themselves to blame.

For a period of time, Zuo Shan'er did not know what to do to establish a connection with Zuo ZhouLei who had left the Palace. He had not even returned for Lady Shuan Bing's and Empress Yun Ying's death anniversaries afterwards.

Nevertheless, ever since she was small, she knew that he was the only person she had hung on to. It was for a very simple reason.

When she was four years old, she was brought by her mother to the Imperial Inner Courtyard to greet the Empress. Because her father was the Emperor's one of many step brothers, her family could be said to be closely related to the Emperor, and hence the whole clan could not afford to offend the Imperial couple. Monthly visit was a compulsory norm.

After their initial greeting, along with other ladies from officials' households, some selected concubines, and maids-in-waiting, Zuo Shan'er and her mother followed behind the Empress' entourage to walk around the expansive Imperial Garden.

Zuo Shan'er's father's house was not shabby by any standard. Being an idle Prince who had lost his chance of the throne of his generation, he and his family could still live in riches as a portion of the state taxes was still granted to him.

However, the main structure of the Palace, as well as the Empress' abode, and the beautiful Imperial Garden, everything inside the Imperial Palace was more dazzling than the most well-known high-end streets and shops in the capital city.

Amidst the blooming flowers, rare rocks and jades that must be worth thousands of gold - sporadically placed and landscaped around the garden for mere ornaments. Amongst the glitter and glitz of the inner Palace, Zuo Shan'er quickly lost her mother's hand as she ventured off by herself.

When she finally had to admit that she was lost, her small feet had grown tired and her toes blistered due to the new shoes she wore that day. None of the passing maids and eunuchs could understand her mumbling her mother's name as she sobbed and asked for them to take her to her mother.