2.18 Lei and Bian

A man was looking at the body of a young boy approximately in his early teens that was lying in a pool of water. The man's eyes were devoid of emotion, save for a touch of fatigue which was reflected on both the young boy's sleeping visage and also the man's flawless face.

He then languidly darted his glance towards outside the thin but impenetrable barrier that surrounded the young boy. Outside the barrier, thin, black strings swam around, trying futilely to find a way inside. 

The young boy's physique must have been a tantalizing vessel for the malice to take over. However, the barrier was flawless and impenetrable. It was the working of his sister, an immortal who was adept in ancient formations. More than that, the man knew, even if the malice could get somehow close, his soul that would otherwise be residing inside the young boy was too powerful. The malice never had a chance.

Nevertheless, the thin barrier stood, emitting a faint reddish colour every time the black strings touched its membrane.

Just moments ago, Zuo ZhouLei stepped his feet into the body of shallow water to reach a blooming lone red lotus.

As soon as he touched the flower, the red petals bloomed larger but fainter in colour, dispersing to the surrounding and forming a protective cocoon.

And as soon as Zuo ZhouLei touched the flower, Lei's sleeping soul awoke, separating himself from his mortal self.

Lei, and the empty sleeping husk of Zuo ZhouLei, were inside a giant transparent red lotus' bud.

The space inside the red lotus' barrier was an alternate dimension, the pure energy was the same as that of his home, heaven. Lei knew the culprit who had summoned him as well as his physical body to this very site. Just by looking at the barrier, he knew. And looking at the swarming black malice outside the barrier, he could more or less deduce the reason behind it.

"Lei." A feminine voice, laced with a similar weariness was heard from his side.

"Ming." He greeted back. He would not forget the voice of his own sister, no matter how many incarnations he had gone through.

"Your high... I mean, Lei." Another voice, Yue's, was heard.

Lei raised an eyebrow, before nodding slightly to acknowledge the moon deity's presence as well.

"I would not have even thought about this if I could find another solution," Tian Ming sighed, curling her lips slightly as she saw the black silhouettes outside the lotus barrier,

"This may intervene with my own tapestry of fate. But I guess the only ones here are deities, and we can't let this problem to keep going anyway."

"I guess the red lotus was your idea?" Lei chuckled. Zuo ZhouLei might not have known why Sage Shen Zheng had sent him to fetch a rare red lotus that did not have any historical record of any benefit whatsoever, but one look at the barrier and its creator - Tian Ming - he knew she was behind it somehow.

"Hn." The scribe of fate nodded, "Though it was done using Yue's help as well. After all, as the moon deity, he is the guardian of dreams."

"I asked Yue to give a dream to that mortal shifu of yours, that the red lotus can aid enlightenment for immortality. Of course, it's not true, and after this, Yue will just appear again in that Sage's dream to say that it's not his fate to obtain the red lotus." Tian Ming looked at Zuo ZhouLei's body, "Don't worry. There won't be any consequences to your mortal body. You won't get punished."

Lei could only feel sorry for Sage Shen Zheng to be played by his mischievous sister.

"Why here though?" Lei asked, "It could be anywhere where the energy is pure. Wu Shan sect also has such a place... . A cave."