Chapter 16: Persimmon is the Color of the Kiss

"She knew one hundred little things about him, but when he kissed her, she couldn't even remember her own name." ~Michelle Hodkin

I wake up to my brother's face smiling down at me. I scream and reflexively slap him in the face. He flinches back, laughing.

"I guess I deserve that for ignoring you for the past few weeks." He throws his head back, laughing even harder. He rubs at his cheek.

I notice that he has his uniform on, and I'm not even ready to go to the game. I volunteered to run balls during the game. I shoot out of bed, almost tripping on my sheets.

I make my bed, straighten a few things in my room, make sure the emerald dress isn't destroyed, and then take a shower.

I let the hot water run over my skin and think of the pumpkin patch yesterday. My brother broke up with the Snake; I need to protect him during the dance. I need to make sure that the Snake doesn't go for my Homecoming date either. I remember that she threatened me before, and she won't hesitate to do it again.

I throw on my warmest clothing and find an old pair of Converse. They shine an almost baby blue when I stand in sunlight. School spirit at its finest.

I also grab my cleats; the ground is going to be slippery.

Our parents drive us to the game because they want to see one of Toby's last games. They also get to escort him onto the field as a senior day perk.

I sit silently, watching the outside world blur by my window. I'm nervous. I've never been to a dance like this before, much less asked to one. What do I do? What do I say? What happens if Theo really tries to kiss me?

The field is spray painted with all of the players' names on both the boy's and girl's teams. Only seniors get the opportunity.

The boys wear their warm-ups, kicking the ball around while coach sets up the drills. I spot Theo doing defensive drills, and Toby runs over, lacing his cleats as he goes.

Coach walks over to me.

"Are you sure you want to run this game? It'll be pretty intense." I nod my head because I don't mind. As long as I don't pay attention to the whistle I'll be fine.

Theo walks up to me, sweat and mud covering his body. He stands really close to me, hunching over to see me clearly.

"You ready for the dance?" I nod my head, not meeting his eyes. I feel uncomfortable, and not because of our proximity. He basically made a promise that he was going to kiss me and that's been on replay all day, all night.

I don't make eye contact.

His voice rumbles next to me, low and sweet.

"I won't do anything that you don't want me to do. Even if it means that I have to wait to kiss you; I can wait."

My eyes meet his and my face heats up. There's a rosy red blush on his cheeks, and he pokes at the ground, shuffling back and forth.

"I'm sure it will be a great night, Theo." He puts his hand on my shoulder, just for a moment, then walks off. The whistle has sounded and it's time for the game.

We have the ball first, but the sun will be in our eyes the second half. I stand in the mud and try to pay attention. I hear the whiz of the ball as it comes near my face, and I catch it just before my nose can be pummeled again.

I try my best to wipe some of the mud off, handing it off to one of our forwards. He throws it to the other side of the field, but his efforts are useless. Our defense is good, but it doesn't stand a chance against the school we've been rivaling for years.