Chapter 25: Navy Blue is the Color of Sadness

"Breathing is hard. When you cry so much, it makes you realize that breathing is hard." ~David Levithan, Love is the Higher Law

Up to 2K reads!! Thank you to all of the people that have stuck with me so far on A Sky Full of Blue!

*Returns to Hazel's POV*

I wake up to the sound of the alarm and someone's arm around my waist. That someone being Theo. I try to get up, but I can feel his arm tighten around my waist. His fingers are warm even through my shirt.

I turn to him, feeling his breath fan over my face. I realize that I must look like a mess, but I want to say something.

"Thank you," I say quietly. He's halfway in a sleep haze, and I'm sure that he cannot hear me, until he shifts in the bed.

"For what?" His voice is deep, and his accent shows through, just a little bit. It makes my heart flutter, but I stay calm and keep my voice level.

"This is the first night since the accident that I've been able to sleep through a full night." He smiles groggily and moves his head so that it's near my heart. He can probably hear the rapid beating.

He hears the door to my room creak open and he tightens an arm around me. One of his Carolina eyes pops open, his long eyelashes fluttering.

"Hazel?" I can hear my brother on the other side of the door. Theo's eyes are wide, and I can't blame him. My brother sounds...displeased.

He hops from out of the covers and looks for a place to hide. I can see in the wideness of his eyes, the tense stance, that he really doesn't want to get in trouble with my brother.

"Go hide in the bathroom, or take a shower. I don't think he'd bother you if you were in the shower." I can hear the frown in his voice as he talks.

"We take showers after practice all the time; I don't think he'd mind taking me out of the shower to pummel me." His voice is a harsh whisper.

"I'll talk to him. Just go!"

He peels his shirt off, throwing it on the floor. He's stripping, and I have a hard time keeping my eyes off of his toned body before he decides to strip down to nothing but his underwear. I pull my eyes away and hear the spray of the water in the shower as he climbs in.

Toby rushes in and sees the shirt and pants on the floor. He looks at me, still in my clothing. He lets out a breath and sits down on the edge of the bed.

"Where is he?" I can hear him clench his teeth together, hear the click as they slide together. His eyes look as if they hold a raging inferno and I feel that Theo is not safe, not even in the shower.

"I can explain Toby." He stands, fists clenched. His body is taut, and I can see the veins in his neck and arms as he flexes.

"Explain what? He's in the shower!" I stand too, feeling the sleep still in my limbs.

"We didn't do anything! He just slept next to me!" I throw my hands up, feeling something in my chest. It's hot and uncomfortable, and I'm not sure I like it.

"I can control myself, Toby, and I'm sure he can too. He wouldn't do anything I'm not okay with." I can feel the tears prick at the corners of my eyes and I shift my gaze away, feeling my brother's stare. He sighs.

Toby rubs at the back of his neck, and I can hear the regret in his words.

"I was just looking out for you. You're my little sister, and I don't trust him, not yet." I glare at him. I'm surprised my voice sounds as calm as it does.