Chapter 39: Gold is the Color of the Cap and Gown

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." ~E.E. Cummings

*Listen to "My Love" by Justin Timberlake featuring T.I. and "I Follow Your Heartbeat" (COE Remix) by Tellow, Klara Larsson and COE*

I can't believe that this is the second to last chapter of A Sky Full of Blue!! Is anyone
ready to see Hazel and Theo's journey end?

Also, if you have the chance, I have two more stories called Walking On Water and Story Snippets: ROMANCE if anyone is interested.

Graduation day is the day that most of my friends are leaving me to go to college. I decide to embrace it as I sit in the crowd, feeling the heat of early June on my face and arms.

The chairs are uncomfortable, and the people around me are pressed so close that I feel the urge to scoot away. I keep my hands folded on my lap for fear that they touch someone else's sweaty arm or leg.

I tap my foot on the ground, waiting for it all to begin.

I hear the music as it begins, and watch as the people start walking down the aisle to the stage. How some of the girls can walk in those towering heels is beyond me.

I see my brother, Theo, Nelson, and Nita, all at different times. I wave to them, and they secretly wave back. I watch as all of the senior class walk up to that stage, and I wonder what it must feel like. Ending one chapter of your life, only to begin another.

I try to find Delilah in the crowd, but she's nowhere to be found. I don't see her ginger hair, or hear her voice. She must be either sitting at home, or waiting silently to see her boyfriend.

I put a hand over my eyes to shield them from the sun. I curse myself for not bringing sunglasses.

My phone rings from my pocket. It can't be either of my parents or Toby because they're all here. I stare down at the name on the phone and stay as quiet as possible. I sit as still as I can, thinking that maybe if I do nothing will happen.

ALYSSA stands out in block print. My thumb hovers over ignore, but I wait until it goes to voicemail. I'm not going to let this ruin my day, or anyone else's. I will not have an episode. This will not define me or who I am.

I sigh, tapping my fingers on the fabric of my dress. I bunch the fabric in my hands and sit there, trying not to show that anything is wrong. Even if I hit ignore on that call, it won't stop her. It seems as if she's bent on sending me away from everyone that I love.

The tension is thick in my arms and legs, and I'm trying to stop them from trembling. I try to tell myself that I'm making too much of a big deal out of this, but I know what is going to happen. This is one of those things that I didn't tell anyone, not even Theo.

I was afraid of what was going to happen.

I got the text early this morning, and maybe that's why I didn't tell anyone. I didn't want to ruin their day, and I didn't want to ruin mine. I was getting ready for the day and I had my phone by me, sitting on the desktop next to my dresser. Alyssa called then too, and I answered. I knew by the tone of her voice that I never should have picked up.

She called to tell me that she was coming today. She didn't know that today was graduation, and why would she? She ruined whatever confidence I had with Asperger's. She destroyed what I had worked on for so long. The ability to calm myself down when I got worked up diminished greatly.