44

I TOLD YOU THAT THERE WOULD BE ANGST! I WARNED YOU! And it gets WORSE. So buckle your seatbelts, we gonna cry. This chapter is kind of a deep breath, so I suggest preparing yourselves or dropping this book. But there is a happy ending and sequel, so we have that to look forward to.

We quietly left the room so that the two mates could be alone together. I heard Jin's sobs for a bit as we walked down the halls, but I wasn't sure if it was the memory of his crying or his actual tears.
———————
Namjoon's POV:

The soft smile on my face slowly slipped off at Jin's news.

"The pups?"

"I'm s—sorry!" He cried, taking shuddering breaths as tears spilled over his cheeks again and again. I just sat there frozen before feeling sharp jabs in the back of my neck.

"B—Baby, it's okay. It wasn't your fault."

"I—I c—could—couldn't p—prot—tect th—them," he bawled harder. "I—It is—is m—my f—fault!"

"No it's not."

"I—It is! Th—they s—said th—things a—and got un—under my s—skin!"

"What did they say?"

"Th—They s—said that y—you wo—wouldn't w—want me a—after th—the pups c—came out."

The tears falling down his face and his arms wrapping tightly around his stomach slowly started fading. I rolled my tongue against the inside of my cheek and gave my answer.

"At least they know what they're talking about."
———————
My eyes snapped open, throwing myself forward into a sitting position.

My chest heaved and my wide eyes examined the room I was in. At last, I felt myself calm down when I realized that I was in our new bedroom. Placing a hand on my stomach, I let out a relieved breath when the rounded bump remained.

I combed back my sweaty hair from my cold face and slowly slid out of the bed. Heading into the bathroom, I looked at my reflection in the mirror. My skin was splotchy and sweat glistened over it, my hands still shaky. I lifted my shirt to feel the baby bump and sighed, relieved.

I filled the tub with water so I could clean off the sweat that came from the nightmare. Sliding into the warm water, I closed my eyes for one second only to hear quick footsteps. I opened them and saw Namjoon in the door of the bathroom, looking at me with wide eyes.

"At least they know what they're talking about."

I looked away from my mate, remembering the dream.

He came closer and grinned happily at me. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah..."

"Jin?" I didn't look at him, hearing him sigh and start dumping his clothes before climbing in behind me. He kissed the top of my sweaty hair and wrapped his arms gently around my middle. "Baby, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," I mumbled. "Just a dream."

"Tell me about it. Maybe it'll make you feel better," he said, pressing butterfly kisses down my neck.

"I—" I paused, trying to decide whether or not to tell him.

"At least they know what they're talking about."

"Joon."

He hummed against my skin.

"Y—You wouldn't leave me, right? Even after the pups?"

"No baby of course not. Why did you ask that?"

"It's—nothing. It's nothing."

I sighed and closed my eyes, moving my hands out of the water to rub my face.

"Jinnie..." Namjoon murmured behind my head.