Chapter 4

"The one who is proficient in the recitation of the Noble Qur'an is associated with the honorable and the obedient scribes (angles) and he who recites the Noble Qur'an and finds it difficult to recite, doing his best to recite it in the best way possible, will have a double reward."

[Bukhari - Narrated by Aisha]

***

Rida glanced up from her laptop, to see her mother enter the room with a pile of clothes. Without wasting one more minute, Rida concentrated back at her laptop, that contained the presentation that she was procrastinating for the past one week. She was always the procrastinator whether that be her assignments or her studies, she would always keep things in the end, a habit that was liked by none in her family, but never did object because in the end, she completed her work and would score good marks.

"Keep this neatly, in your wardrobe." Her mom said and was about to leave when she gazed up at her mother.

"Mum please can't you do it for me? I'm busy with my presentation." She said and her mom turned to her daughter who was busy typing.

"Well, that's your punishment for always keeping things for the last moment." Her mum said glaring at her and she looked up at her laptop, rolling her eyes at her mom.

"Please mum." She said giving the best puppy face, pouting a little to bring her mum in her trap, but She was her mum and it was hard to do such thing!

"Well I'm not doing it. Either you do it or just leave it. I don't want to bang my head with your clothes. What can you identify here?" Her mum said and pointed to the pile of clothes that laid on the bed.

She noticed her clothes and sighed. They all were black and she knew what her mother wanted to convey to her.

"Clothes." She said smiling sheepishly at her mum who glared at her.

"I can only see black clothes. I cannot even identify your jeans and kurtas in that and you want me to fold them? I'm not doing it." She said and turned around to leave the room when Rida called out to her again,

"Mum, please." She said as she was tired and did not wanted to argue with her mum at this time.

"No Rida I know you like black and dull colours so do I, but have you seen me wearing black 365 days? No right. There should be some colours in life too. Just like your wardrobe you have made your life black too." Her mum yelled at her and she sighed and kept quiet, knowing she was right.

"I'm sorry." She apologized not knowing why was she even apologizing.

Her mother looked at her daughter for a minute. This was not the type of daughter she dreamt of. She always wanted a daughter who would be bold, fearless and the tomboy type but she was just the opposite. But she was happy that her daughter was understanding, caring and respectful, the most important aspect in a human.

Her mum walked out of the room, and Rida looked up at her mum leaving. She closed her laptop and sighed. She was already very tired due to the sleepless night and the presentation and to add to the misery the needy helping hand in the house hold chores.

Her mum had divided the work between the three of them during the holidays. While her mum would cook, Faiza would sweep and wash the floor and Rida would wash the dishes and would help her mother in cutting vegetables. While Faiza only helped during her holidays, Rida helped their mum during the normal days because she could see her mum aging and that made her tired very easily.