Chapter 28

They (your wives) are a clothing (covering) for you, and you too are a clothing (covering) for them.
Surah Al-Baqarah- 2:187

***

Rida was decked up in a light coloured gown that was fully covered with lots of sequins and Rhine stones all around the dress. It was way too heavy for Rida’s liking and she was getting uncomfortable with the dress but she couldn’t help upset her parents. Rida had simply worn a plain hijab making the gown look more attractive. Her make-up was kept light as Rida had preferred but with a dark lipstick making her glow despite her denial. The only thing Rida loved was that she had not worn any jewellery except the rings that were of Rehan’s name for her. From the time it was on her fingers she had never removed it till date and she made sure about it.

She took the box that she had kept on her bed given by her husband last night. As she was about to open it, her cousin had pulled her back to sleep not letting her see what was in it and it had completely slipped her mind with all tears she had been sheading from the time she had woken up. With shivering hands, she opened the box, her eyes widening at the metallic bracelet that was in it. It was a simple platinum bracelet with four hearts hanging on it making it look extremely delicate. She took it in her hand, caressing it a little with her thumb a smile making its way on her lips. She slowly kept in on her left hand, trying her best to wear it without letting the delicate non-living object to fall from her hand. After several attempts of failure, she finally succeeded in wearing it making it look more delicate on her fragile hand.  

Smiling at the bracelet, she looked around the room the smile vanishing and a lump forming in her throat. She was glad for being left alone as everyone were now getting dressed in some or the other room, giving the privacy the bride asked for. She was excited to start her married life with her husband, who was nothing but a pure soul and always making her feel at ease. She knew that she would never regret marrying Rehan even an ounce but she couldn’t help but feel sad for leaving behind her parents, her sister, her family.

She looked at her mehendi that had turned maroon, almost black and couldn’t help blush going back to what her aunt had said,

“Masha Allah the colour of the henna has come out so well, probably because Rehan loves our Rida very much.”

And with that all her cousins had started teasing her making her go red due to shyness while her mother had cried in joy looking at her.

She recollected all the memories that she ever had in this house, with her family. She wouldn’t forget any memory for they were etched in her heart forever and as she steps out of the house, ready to start her life with her husband there would be many more memories that she would keep close to her heart, with her family; her Rehan and their kids.

She covered her face in her palm at her own thoughts, the smile never leaving her face.

“Ahem.” She heard a cough startling her. She removed her hand to see Aafia walking inside removing her niqaab. Rida smiled at her, a shy smile looking at the smirk that was being passed to her.

“Thinking about Rehan?” Aafia asked and Rida was quick enough to shake her head, the smile lying all the while.

“No, just recollecting the memories with everyone.” She said and Aafia looked at her who was trying her best to avoid eye contact. Aafia nodded her head still not believing her friend but kept her mouth shut.

They both sat in silence, neither of them speaking both lost in their own thoughts. While Aafia felt herself getting emotional looking at her friend who looked extremely gorgeous in her bridal dress, there was Rida who felt the same.