Preface

Sophie stood next to Fitz as they searched the area. There had been signs of the Neverseen around this area, and so her and her friends had split up to search the area. As they passed by a patch of roses, Fitz stopped, picked a flower and looked up to see Sophie walking away. He hurried to catch up and held out the flower to Sophie. She rolled her eyes but smiled sweetly as she excepted it, before playfully smacking him on the head.

        "We're supposed to be searching for the Neverseen, not picking flowers!" Despite the circumstances, she giggled.

        Sophie realized they should get back on the search when she saw the Neverseen symbol flash out of the corner of her eye, and she whipped around, scanning the area. "Something wrong?" Fitz inquired as he slipped his hand into hers. They both then heard Gethen's horrible voice saying: "You know, it's a shame we've had to rely on human weapons." before hearing a gunshot. Somehow, Sophie knew it was aimed toward Fitz and dove in front of him, pain searing her stomach as she took the bullet. She rolled on the ground, the rose falling out of her grasp as Fitz fell to his knees, scooping her into his lap and cradling her.

        "You took it for me" he whispered, tears filling his eyes.

           "Of course I did. I will NEVER let them harm you," Sophie's strained voice said,     laced with pain.

          Gethen leaped away when he saw Sophie's situation after laughing evily. "Sophie, please stay with me." Fitz begged, but the pain kept getting worse. Sophie wanted to let go, and it was becoming hard not too. "I'm... Sorry..." she whispered before letting go, slipping away from the pain and falling limp in Fitz's arms.

            Fitz felt tears roll down his cheeks as his friends ran up to them. They saw Sophie's limp body and Fitz crying.

            "Fitz, what happened?" Biana asked softly, tears brimming her teal eyes. Fitz took a deep breath and stood, Sophie in his arms, as he faced his friends. "Gather everyone at Everglen. I'll explain there." He said before lifting up his home crystal and leaping away to gather his thoughts for the explanation.

A/N I'm rereading this and seriously doubting this will be good....