Chapter 26

It took three days, a lot of negotiating, straining, screaming, and grit for Nora to finally convince Linnea to let Tord stay with her.

Tord's fingers gripped on the metal zipper, the cold mold feeling smooth with its precise edging. It felt like the exact opposite of what has been happening for the past 2 weeks and a half.

Tord felt like if he un-zipped the bag and opened it, he would be letting go of something in the process. Something. . . Big. Something he didn't want to let go of.

He was in the second room of the apartment, light yellow creme wallpaper and a soft, fuzzy brown carpet.

There was a single window on the far end of the room, simple white curtains hanging over the bright escape. In front of the window was Tord's bed, with white sheets and a matching light yellow blanket. The pillows were also yellow. It smelled like a girly teenager perfume named 'Cheery Cherry Blast.'

"Do you like how I decorated it? Yellow is a color that makes people happy. Does it make you happy Tord?" Nora peeked into the room, an excited smile dancing on her lips.

"Uh, its. . . I need to un-pack."

"Of course! I forgot!"

She ran up to Tord and hugged him.

She hummed as she squeezed, Tord remaining still for her.

She finally released, skipping away as she chirped a "Remember! You're going back to school tomorrow!"

Tord huffed. Ever since Ms. Grandmado told him about his mother, he had been blowing off school.

He didn't want to return to the awkwardness that was Jon. He cringed, knowing Jon would bombard him with questions.

Tord pulled out his phone and went to his contacts.
Every number that meant something to Tord had a specialized caller ID. The only numbers he had remembered were his parent's.

Tord scrolled, only one little drag of the finger and the little strip of information was shown on screen.

It read: 'Mom.' 

The small icon representing 'Mom.' was a picture of Andrea, it was taken off-guard and she had barley woken up when Tord took the picture of her. It was of her messy bed-head and grumpy demeanor, and the sight made Tord laugh to himself.

His finger shook, but it was pulled to the screen.

Tord pressed it lightly. It went to 'call'.

He put the phone next to his ear, hearing the automatic rings surround him.

After waiting a moment, he heard a subtle click.

"This is Andrea's voice-mail. I will try my best to answer or call you back. Thank you."

Her voice was tired and artificial, only a noise coming from Tord's phone.

He quivered.
He hadn't heard it, her voice, in a while.

What was the last thing he had even said to her? What was she thinking when she died? What- no, why did this even have to happen?

The phone slipped and hit the ground. Tord's grasp had loosened, as well as his resolve.

He pushed his bag to the side, fumbling to get on the bed. He rested his eyes, letting the darkness wrap him in a comforting warmth he craved.

"I cAnN ShoW YoU ThE WoOOrlLLD~~"

The girl on the stage swayed dramatically, gripping the microphone with a passionate hold. Too bad she didn't have any hold on her audience what so ever.

Tom sighed. "Next!"

"What? I wasn't done!" The girl whimpered.

"Uhm, we are looking for more, how should I put it, 'talent'? Yeah, talent." 

The girl cried, running off the stage and leaving the microphone.

"Tom! Stop being so rude!" Edd grouched.

Tom rolled his eyes.

Matt exhaled, calling up another. "Uh, Christopher Bingbong and Larry?"

Right now, the work-in-progress band was holding auditions for lead singers. They used the school's auditorium after school hours and had gone through multiple try-outs already.

Two boys, one tall with unruly brown hair, and a shorter one with dish-water blonde hair and an eye patch over the left eye got on stage.

"Uhm, could one of you get off the stage so the other can sing?" 

"We're singing a duet. 'Total Eclipse of the Eternal Heart.'" Christopher, the brown haired boy, said matter-of-factly.

The trio was surprised, but didn't stop them. Edd typed the song in his phone (Karaoke version) and they sang.

(Uh, this is obviously so un-realistic but this whole idea just really entertains me, so you get it too.)

Christopher sang the male's part, voice in a deep tone, balanced and strong.

Larry sang what was Bonnie Tyler's part, but it was more masculine and showing the song in a completely new light.

The two finished their ballad, the trio in shock.

"G-Go in the back, we will meet you there."

They nodded and walked off.

Tom raised his eyebrows at Edd, who let his jaw hang loose at Matt, who nodded ecstatically.

"We chose you two to be our leads. What do you think?"

"Yeah, no."

The trio froze. Christopher and Larry got up from the chairs they sat in, nonchalant about what they said.

"Wha-What??" Edd asked, the shock written all over him.

"We were actually scouting talent for our upcoming a cappella. We will not be joining your band."

Larry rummaged around in his pants pocket, pulling out a card.

"My aunt does voice training. You should check her out."

Tom took it, saying "You always carry this with you?"

Larry nodded.
They all starred at each other before the duo walked off.

Edd rolled his eyes as he grabbed Matt's elbow.

"Me and Matt are going out for dinner. I called Pat to pick you up Tom."

"What?!" Tom shouted.

With that, Edd and Matt ran out the door. 

Pool Prison (TomTord)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें