3.

Amara

"Sunshine!" I hear my mom's voice soar through the atmosphere straight from her position in the kitchen. My eyes part briefly as they tried to adjust to the bright light illuminating through the open window.

"Amara Jordyn Belle!" she called again, this time her voice cracked, making me go into a silent fit of laughter under the duvet.

"I'm awake! Don't go straining your voice!" Once I climbed off the bed, I strapped the oxygen can on my back and tidied my room. After neatly making up the bed and making sure everything I needed was packed away into the four suitcases, the knot in my stomach tightened as I carefully discarded my clothes and took a deep pull of air before draping the oxygen hose safely over the shower door.

Getting in, I opened the tap and allowed the lukewarm water to cascade down my body. I spent the last few days fantasising about college, not because of the desperate need to get away from myself but because I was unsure of the Office of Administration receiving my well written application.

The day I received my acceptance letter I beamed with glory. My mom cried, Cotton cried but Luke cried for what seemed like five whole days. Crazy right? Letting the water ease my tensed muscles, I cleansed myself throughout, including washing my jungle of a hair and sighed at the successful outcome. Wrapping one of my fluffy towels around me, I toted the can into my room and quickly moisturized my body.

Putting on my undergarments, I waltz over to my small closet, decided on a maxi dress and a pair of cream sandals and finished getting ready. Upon finishing with the last step being styling my hair, I smile at my new look and dragged my oxygen tank behind me and into the kitchen.

Luke and Cotton is sitting at the dining table stuffing their faces with mom's famous blueberry chocolate chip pancakes, topping them off with homemade strawberry syrup, chicken sausages on the side and tall glasses of apple juice.

"Hey college girl," they greeted in unison making mom scold them for speaking with their mouths full.

"Were you guys practicing or something?" I ask suspiciously. I flopped on the seat next to Luke and mom came over to me and placed my breakfast infront of me. My mouth watered at the sight. I was about to pick up the fork when I heard the clearing of someone's throat. I looked up through my eyelashes. "Say your prayers before you eat. Don't forget your manners," mother says sternly. As I thanked God Almighty for blessing me with another day and asking for his gratitude and wisdom, I hungrily dug in.

"I bet you're gonna miss mornings like these huh," mom says whilst busily cutting up her pancakes into small pieces neatly.

"Don't remind me," I say and let out a moan as soon as the strawberry syrup came in contact with my taste buds. "You better pack a bottle of this for me to carry mom."

"I hope you didn't forget to pack anything Mar," Luke butts in.

I thought for a moment. "The only thing I'm leaving behind is you guys," I pouted.

"Amara Jordyn Belle do not start. Cotton is on the verge of crying," Luke piped up, making Cotton roll his eyes. "You know you're the baby out of the both of us."

As we all cleared our plates, mom helped me to the car while Cotton and Luke went to grab my bags. "I'll settle for the back mom," I tell her, a bit out of breath.

She shook her head. "No no. I could recline the passenger seat in the front for you to lay down and catch your breath. Come on." Helping me inside, she placed the can between my legs and buckled me in tightly. Bending over under the seat, she ran her finger across the underneath and I heard the lever click making me lean back a bit. The butterflies danced in my stomach.

Once everything was in the trunk of the car, Luke went back to lock up the house. I have no idea what this new adventure was gonna be like, but I was prepared for it.

***

If you're liking this story, don't forget to vote and leave a nice review! xoxo