5.

Amara

I made my way back to my room a little distance away from where I stood, dragging the tank behind me. Opening the door and closing it behind me, I turned around and the girl walked up to where I stood. "I'm Sylvia but my friends call me Syl for short," she says and squeezes me softly. Her whole aura seems so vibrant and warm, I feel like we'll be great roommates.

"This is Lucien, but you already know that," we set our gaze on the tall figure again, who, thankfully, was already clothed. He was already staring at me. I tried so hard to not let my eyes rake his attire because I know it'll feed his ego. But I couldn't help but take in the way his muscles were prominent through the satin blue tee, the black skinny jeans hugged his thick thighs amazingly. I cleared my throat and brought my eyes back to his face.

"No need for the introductions Syl. We aren't going to be friends anyways," he says boldly.

"Maybe we could set some ground rules?" I suggest, tearing my gaze away from him to her.

She flipped her blonde hair to the side and fixed her tight crop top on her chest. "Anything."

"Okay. 1. could I get the bed next to the window? The fresh air kind of helps with my breathing sometimes."

She nodded. "What else?"

"Um," I searched the room and once again, my eyes landed on the guy. "Nothing much, really. You seem like a very great person who doesn't break the rules. Though, if your boyfriend has to be in here, could he not interfere with my stuff? I don't want to misplace my meds or to feel offended, it's important."

It was silent for a moment. All of a sudden, they both burst out in fits laughter. "What?" I asked in confusion.

"Lucien's not my boyfriend. Yeah we hooked up before, but he's not my type." My guilt fell straight down my stomach.

"Can't believe you thought we were dating," he snorted.

"Still, could you not touch my stuff?"

"Sure whatever. Syl you ready?" he brushes me off.

Jerk.

She grabbed her phone from off the desk and walked to the door. "I'll be back in 3 hours okay? Later I will move my stuff to the other side of the room and maybe I could help you finish pack?" she offers.

"I would like that," I nod and shot her a wide smile.

Walking out of the door with Lucien following behind, he stops abruptly and looked at me for what may seem as the third time since we've met. "See you around Amara," he says and slammed the door shut behind him.

I gathered all the strength I had and muster the courage to start offloading the easier things to pack away. Things like my meds, toiletries, shoes, setting up my canvas and the rest of the art supplies Luke bought for me as a "all-the-best" gift. I leave the clothes for last as they were a lot. After what seemed like three hours of decorating my side in hopes of making me feel as if I was home, I decided to take a break.

Feeling exhausted after a while, I lay across the bed and recalled the routine to follow when the cannula feels scratchy. Reaching over, I grabbed the nebulizer from off the desk and removed the cannula from my nose. I took a long drag from the puff and clutched my chest as I felt something tighten. My cheeks felt hot and my eye started springing water. I tried remembering what Dr. Campbelle told me to do whenever my chest tightens or when I get anxious and reiterated her instructions.

The first thing I did was redirect my position in a way that I felt comfortable, which was sitting behind the desk on the chair and leaning slightly forward with my arms resting on the table. After a few slow, even breaths in, I closed my eyes and exhaled on the count of four. I smiled when I felt the pain slowly disappearing.

Just then the door bursts open and in walked Sylvia and three other people, one being Lucien. I was not facing them but I heard their conversation take an abrupt stop when they walked in.

"Oh shit, hey girl. Are you okay?" Sylvia asks me, walking over to where I sat. I wipe my eyes quickly and turn around, forcing a smile.

"Fine," was my response.

"You don't look the part," Lucien says sternly, crossing his arms over his abdomen.

"I'm fine. I just couldn't control my breathing," I responded and moved over to grab the cannula to place it back into my nose.

Sylvia, being a generous soul, offered to place the cannula back into my nostrils and made me sit down. I let out a shaky sigh and closed my eyes for a second.

"That looks so cool. Is it?" the other guy said, making the other girl hit him on the back of the head.

"Nothing about cancer is cool dimwhad."

"Mara this is Finn," she points to another girl, "and that's my cousin Billie."

The brunette and a girl with purple highlights waved to me and said hellos.

"Your parents should probably invest in some sort of help for you . That way we wouldn't have to worry about you so much," he says sadistically.

"Well why don't you volunteer," I mutter mainly to myself but I guessed everyone got on as I noticed the sly smirk on his features.

"You're gonna have to go on without me guys. I'm staying in with Mara tonight," Sylvia bumps me on my shoulder slightly.

"Suit yourself. Just remember that you aren't her babysitter," Lucien scowls and made his way out the door. Finn and Billie bid their goodbyes, not before ensuring that I was in good health and promising to make a hang out with me when I settle in.

"Your friends are nice," I say once it was just the two of us.

"All of them?" she asks whilst busy moving her luggage to the other bed.

"I guess. Finn seems like a flirt and Billie seems like the comedian," I respond. Indeed, Billie and Finn do seem like they are good company and I don't mind getting to know them a little better.

She laughs wholeheartedly. "Glad to know."

I sit on my bed leisurely folding my undergarments and street clothes and she assists by tucking them away into the nearly made wooden draws. "What about Lucien?"

I stopped at mid fold and squinch my eyebrows together. "What about him?"

She looked at me, and I mean really looked at me. "What about him?" I repeat.

"Is he nice? Or is he too vain?" I shrug at her question.

"Other than the fact that he can't stand being in the same room as me, he's a total heartthrob."

"Lucien King is mysterious. His past wasn't the best. He has a good way of concealing things and then he kicks back and acts like nothing's wrong in his life," she explains.

"Why does he look at me like that? What is the meaning for it?"

She seemed deep in thought. "That's the way he looks at his new prey. He thinks that if his charm pulls off, he will play with your feelings then when he's fed up of you, leaves you wondering why you weren't good enough," she sucks on her teeth.

"I will never hook up with a guy like him Syl," I confess.

"I really hope you don't."

***

If you're liking this story, don't forget to vote and leave a nice review! xoxo