28.

Amara

*** A few weeks later ***

"We met at my father's antique shop, Josephine and I. Both in our teenaged years. She was so beautiful, so vibrant, so elegant, in the way she presented herself. I knew from the very moment I saw her that she was the course to a new journey I would embark on in my life. She visited with her family, explaining that they were travelers and they only stayed in one area not more than 3 days. I stood just a few inches away from her, dusting an antique clock down, as my father ordered me to. "I am Carol Ann and this is my husband Elliot and my daughter, Josephine" I heard her mother introduce to my father, who was as equally as beautiful as her. "Nice to meet you. I'm Carlisle Chester" my father had replied. He then called on me, pointing to the direction where I hid behind the clock, staring at her. I nod as he motioned for me to join them, taking slow strides towards them, afraid that she would see me as dirty as I was. I spent all day dusting that day. My father introduced me to them as William Chester and I greeted with a simple good day, never once looking up to meet her eyes.

Then after, I had noticed all along, the time I had wasted in figuring out that they were golden brown, for I had not taken the opportunity to do so at that point in time. The following day, I consumed my thoughts plotting ways in which I could've... talked to her, let alone made sure that we crossed paths again. As if God answered my prayers, she walked into the store again, but this time it was just I, as my father had other errands to attend to. I thought she came to see me, but I felt foolish for thinking that she did. She wasn't interested in me, only the 'amazing' variety of paint my father had recently brought in from another town far from ours. We spoke briefly, our conversation more about the origins of the paint. I wanted to know more about her, but I wasn't the only one seeking your attention," as William, as he told me to address him, told me the story about how him and his lover met, I notice the sadness and torment glisten in his eyes.

I wanted to hear more about the story. It made me so intrigued, so full of life. It was a love story, as he had told me before. I know that passion is far and away from the most vital element of a memorable love story. However, Mr. Chester and his beloved Josephine's love story gave me a sign of hope that there is love in this world and the possibility that Lucien and I's relationship could more or less turn into one as well made my mind whirl.

"You should probably get your rest," I place a hand over his and smiled a little.

The hospital room door bursts open and Lucien walks in with my coat draped over his arm, a sign of dismay stuck to his features.

He comes over and kisses me softly, asking if I was okay.

"Are you okay?" I ask solemnly.

He shakes his head. "I just got off the phone with my father. It's my mother. It's all bad news." That was all he had to say for me to understand him.

"But we need to get going before we head back to campus for your evening class," he adds.

I turn my attention to William again, who smiled understandingly. "Next Tuesday it is then," I beamed and his eyes twinkled.

"Could you lot maybe come back tomorrow? I-If it's not much to ask, I'd like to see.....a little more of you during the week. You captivate me, keep me company even. What you have makes me want to hold on to what I had long ago," he stumble upon his words, his voice dying out as he let out a cough. I promised him we will visit in the afternoon time.

On the way back to campus, I got an unexpected message from Luke asking why didn't I answer any of his calls and didn't answer the door when he had knocked, which made me deeply question what he was inquiring.