37.

Lucien

"Amara!" my breathing was choppy by the time I reached to where I saw her collapse. She laid there motionless and for a moment, I though that she was gone.

Hot tears streamed down my face, and I squeeze my eyelids shut in the hope his tears would stop. I kneeled next to her and raise her head over my lap to rest there as I check her pulse. She was still alive.

I breathed out a hefty sigh in relief, but I couldn't be completely relieved yet, seeing as she's unconscious.

I needed to keep my composure so I can at least get her to the hospital before her lung collapses even more.

"What is going on here Mr. King?" I hear the faint voice of the Dean in the distance. I turn and saw him approaching with the girl's DA and the security guard hot on his tail.

"There's no time to explain sir. Please, she needs to get to the hospital before her lung collapses now!" I yell, not even caring that he was superior to me. In this moment, nothing matters but this girl before me.

"Okay okay calm down. The ambulance is on their way. Please stay with her while I go to phone her parents. Does she have anything on her to revive her a bit? Any medication?" he implies, searching around to see if she flung anything when she collapsed.

I notice her purse laying next to her so I scramble to open it, searching frantically for something. Her nebulizer! "This! I have this. But I don't know what... to do," I huff in frustration, cursing under my breath countlessly.

"I have a nephew that has adenocarcinoma. L-L-L-o-o-ok just... sit her upright, place the machine into her mouth and push the button down at the top so she'll receive the medicine. Do it for 10-15 minutes. Hurry Lucien! It's her only option right now!" he instructs and goes to talk to the security guard who tells him that the ambulance is rounding the corner. I did as told and kept pleading with myself that this is going to work, for the time being at least.

Tears race down my cheeks as I had to force myself to take in how lifeless she looked, feeling empty over me. I could hold the heartbreak no longer as my body felt weak and I cover her with my body, letting out the tears.

"Amara, baby, please, I need you. Don't go out on me yet," I croak through the tears. The sound of sirens indicated that the ambulance had arrived and a wave of worry flashed across my face, worried what would happen if she isn't going to make it in time.

"She's right here! The boy said she collasped, she may be out of oxygen," I hear Mr. Joseph explain to one of the paramedics who was busy offloading the stretcher with another. They quickly rush to her side and told me to back away as they lifted her and effortlessly placed her on the stretcher.

"She.. she has lung cancer, I gave her a shot of her nebulizer but I'm scared that you won't make it in time to save her," I say, my lip quivering at the thought of her dying.

"We'll be able to make it sure, don't lose hope. Will you be riding with us?" the male paramedic ask me.

"Yes, I need to be there for her," I say without hesitating to think if it was alright with the Dean.

"Yes, Lucien go with her. Her parents should join you tomorrow and I'll also visit after work," he assures me and I nod, joining them in the patient's compartment.

As we rode down the highway, I couldn't keep my eyes off the way the paramedics handled her. They strapped so many things onto her, including new oxygen. I hold her hand tightly, never letting her go. I wanted her to know that I was going to be there for her, even if we both knew that me being in her life only brought her pain.