8.

Amara

It's finally Friday and one week of college is almost over. Lucas and I became a bit closer and I felt relieved to also have him as a friend besides Sylvia, Finn and Billie.

I managed to avoid Lucien for the entire week but we saw each other on Wednesday for Literature. Luckily, we hadn't made any eye contact whole lecture which put me at ease. We still had to discuss our Art assignment nonetheless.

"I'm flying out of state with mom for the weekend!" Lucas says excitedly. We were sitting at a coffee shop just on the outskirts of campus, comparing notes on the two classes we had together: Literature and Sociology.

"Where are you going?" I ask, grinning up at him. "Florida. My aunt is having a baby shower," he smiles cheekily. I can tell he's really excited.

"That's so exciting," I tell him.

Feeling happy with the way the week went by, I decided to phone home and see how everything was going. Maybe even watch a movie or two on my laptop and relax with a tub of strawberry ice cream. Having all my class' syllabuses really makes me work ahead of time. I walk out of my last class for the day and head to the café to get some research reading done for an assignment due in a few days.

I get my order early so I took the seat next to the wall. "Amara right?" a high pitched voice asks in front of the table. I looked up to find the blonde haired girl from my Literature and Art class.

"She is me," I reply quickly and engrossed myself into the article I was previously reading.

"Are you coming to the party tonight?" she asks. Sighing, I closed my book with attitude and looked at the girl again.

"I don't know what you're talking about so could you please not bother me?" I say politely even though I was extremely annoyed.

"Syl didn't tell you? Too bad, you would've enjoyed yourself," she says and I snorted.

"My cancer says otherwise."

She smiles. "What a bummer. The name's Lina, but I'm sure you already know that," she flips her hair.

"Shocker I don't?" I say and her smile grows. "Just know this, Lucien King is mine." She turns to walk away and I roll my eyes.

"Not that I want him anyway," I say to myself.

My phone starts to ring and I check my caller ID.

Cotton.

I grinned and answered. "Hey Cee."

"Hey Mars. I opted to text you at first but I figured your classes must be over by now so I said to myself to just call," his line broke up a bit.

"Are you busy?" I ask.

"Just getting ready to hang out with Tyler and the guys. What about you?"

"The usual. Reading and sipping on a latte," I exchanged and sipped on the rich beverage.

"Don't overdose yourself with the sugar you hear me?" he says sternly. I giggle. "Yes dad."

"Well I won't keep you. I want you to focus on your studies, make sure to rest properly as well."

"I'm so glad it's Friday. I'm excited for the weekend. Got any plans?" I ask.

"I do actually. I'm going to visit my best friend in her new college and maybe bring her favorite movies and her favorite strawberry ice cream." I knew he was grinning.

My eyes widen. "Really!" I exclaim a bit too loudly. I looked up and saw that I earned weird stares and glares from customers sitting nearby.

I mouth a quick sorry and got back to the call. "Why didn't you say something earlier?" I say in a normal voice.