Chapter 2

Tate Simmons headed down the aisle of the local grocery store in small town Westbrooks, Montana. Admittedly this was a different setting for him because usually he could be found at the bar, and a dingy motel room in one small town and the next night be in a different small town doing the exact same thing. However, something about this town had caught his eye and now he found himself buying groceries and paying for a weeks hotel stay.

"Listen Andy. All I'm asking you to do is drive out to the ranch and make sure Dad is doing okay." A woman's voice in the next aisle over carried over the tall racks dividing them, and a hidden trace of panic in her tone made Tate stop and listen.

"Obviously I shouldn't have left him alone! But I couldn't really help it when you bailed on me yesterday and the pantry is clean out of groceries. You know good and well I can't take him to town! How would I ever manage him here?" The woman sounded close to tears and Tate shook his head. It sounded like an ex boyfriend who had left her high and dry. People tended to do that which is why he had never bothered with relationships.

"Andy please! I'm not asking for me. Think of Dad's safety!" It was dead quiet for a second and then came her shrill shriek. "You what?! You're already gone? You didn't even stick around to see if I was okay or to help me get settled somewhere else if you thought I couldn't stay on the ranch? You know what? I don't want to talk to you anymore. Don't call this number again please unless it's an emergency. I'll figure something out on my own." Tate imagined her pressing the hang up button violently and almost chuckled. It just wasn't the same without a receiver to slam down dramatically after a speech like that.

She had caught his attention though, and he decided to do something he never did; stick his nose into other people's problems. Maybe it had been the tone of her voice that made him do it. She sounded close to tears and his momma had raised him better than to leave a distressed woman. He never had been able to walk away from a woman in trouble even if it caused trouble for him. So with his basket in hand, he strode purposely around the corner to see if he could help. What he saw, almost stopped him in his tracks and at that moment he realized he might be in for more than he actually bargained for. A petite woman sat in a wheelchair with a basket dangling from its handles. As he watched she reached for something higher up on the shelf, snagged it and angrily turned to throw it in the basket behind her.

"Ma'am?" He didn't know what else to say really and just stood there behind her confused. He didn't know if he should offer to help her with her groceries or ask about the phone call like he originally meant too. Then he started second guessing why he was going to ask about the phone call anyway. He shouldn't have been listening in and besides, what could he do if her boyfriend ran away and her Dad was at home alone when he shouldn't be. It's not like she would trust a total stranger to help out.

"Oh I don't need help. Thanks though." She turned to smile at him and he almost took a step back. She was beautiful, with big green eyes, a slender, almost perfectly proportioned face and long blonde hair that she had up in a high ponytail. The only glaring imperfection about her was the scar running along her cheek bone under her right eye.

"Uh ok. I actually came over here to ask about that phone call." He looked down and rubbed his worn boots against the even more worn floorboards of the store. It sounded stupid now that he had said that out loud.

"I'm sorry but do I know you?" She tilted her head as if that would make her see him better, or make her remember where she could've seen him before. The news story flashed through his head and he found himself hoping feverishly that the story hadn't reached this hick town in the middle of no where Montana.

"Uh no ma'am. I don't know you that's for certain." He shrugged as if to say, 'what about it.'

"Well I'm sorry to be rude then mister but around here we don't go listening in to people's private phone conversations. Besides what could you do to help me. It's not like I would ever trust a stranger to go check on my Dad." A fire gleamed in her green eyes, giving them a lively spark that contrasted fiercely with her small and seemingly fragile form inside the wheelchair. He felt like he had received a scolding from his momma and ducked his head slightly.

"Of course ma'am. I don't know what came over me to be honest. I'm not one to stick my nose in others business."

"Hmm. Well maybe it's just because you heard a woman's voice who seemed to be needing help. Well I don't need your help, so I advise you to go find another woman to save stranger." With that she rolled her eyes and started wheeling towards the counter. He watched helplessly behind her and wondered what had gone on in his mind that had told him to go over there. He did know better than to butt in other's business.

"Megan! How's your pops doing? Want me to go check on him?" The old man she went behind in line turned to ask. Tate raised his eyebrows. So he hadn't been the only one who had heard her conversation. To his surprise she smiled politely at the old man.

"Thank you Joe but I'll just head home now anyway. I think the other things that I need in town can wait for another day."

"Are you sure? You know I don't mind doin' that for you Megs." The old man persisted but she just shook her head.

"I'm sure." He smiled and went back to counting change out for the bored looking cashier. Tate quickly finished his grocery shopping, grabbing only the essentials. His mind was on that woman, Megan. There was just something about her. Maybe it was the fact that she was shopping in a wheelchair and obviously was driving herself home too. He knew those things were possible but he had never witnessed it and it took him by surprise. After paying, he strode out to his truck, but stopped when the old man who had talked to Megan called after him from where he was lounging against the weathered store front.

"Come over here for a moment will you?" Tate obliged and was soon standing in front of the old grizzled man.

"Sir?"

"I saw what you did back there. Tried to help Megan. I wanted to tell you, you did good. She's stubborn and all us town folk have learned that she doesn't really need our help. And even if she does she won't accept it." Tate nodded, acknowledging the man's praise.

"Just doin' what anyone would do I reckon."

"Maybe. But it's a lot more than her no account cousin would do. He up and left her, high and dry with a ranch to run and her father to take care of. Heaven only know how bad James is now and how hard he is to take care of. They say his minds gone. And he being a lot younger than me."

"How can she run a ranch like that though?" Tate hoped he didn't sound rude but it seemed impossible to him.

"She can't. But she doesn't have much of a choice now since Andrew left. And she won't let that ranch go. Poor gal must be prayin' for a miracle to happen. She don't have the money to hire a man to help out either. But I guess it really ain't our business. The good Lord will help her out if this mess and I suppose the people of Westbrooks won't abandon her either." Just like that the old man ended the conversation and walked away, shaking his head.

Tate doubted very much about the good Lord doing anything. He hadn't done much for him when Tate needed him the most. He could do something about it thought. She needed a man to help around the ranch. Well he knew how to ranch. He hopped in his truck and drove slowly to his motel, wondering what to do and wondering if he really should offer his help or if he should just keep moving like he always had.
*****
Sorry for the wait! Also another quick disclaimer: all towns names and places are fictional in this story! Thanks for reading! ~ S

The Healing Ranchजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें