cinq

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

MYTHOLOGY

chapter five ❛ 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚎𝚍 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚎

chapter five
❛ 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚎𝚍 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚎. ❜

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

     AMARA LAID ON her side, staring at the night sky as she listened to Percy and Grover's conversation. Usually, she was against eavesdropping on people, especially when it was none of her business if she wasn't invited to talk. But this time, she couldn't help it. She couldn't fall asleep, and the boys talking was something she couldn't drown out. So she was forced to listen.

"How are we going to get to the Underworld?" Percy asked, his voice turning low. "I mean, what chance do we have against a god?"

"I don't know," Grover said, his voice echoing from where he laid in his tree. "But back at Medusa's, when you were searching her office. Annabeth and Amara were telling me—"

A scoff escaped from the demigod. "Let me guess, Amara helped with Annabeth's plan?"

"Don't be so hard on her, Percy." Grover scolded the son of Poseidon. "Annabeth either."

"It's not Annabeth that's the problem," he snapped. "She's at least trying to make an effort despite the feud between Athena and Poseidon." His eyes darted over to Amara before they moved back to Grover. "But Amara? Our parents are threatening to go to war, that doesn't mean we have too as well. It's almost like she wants to make sure I know that we're not supposed to get along."

"Well," Grover started. "You did insult her by making that royalty comment, and bringing up her father and insulting him, you called her Belle—"

"—How was I supposed to know she hated that? She could have just said so instead of holding a dagger to my neck."

The satyr nodded his head. "You're right about that, but the whole thing with Medusa and blaming Annabeth's mom, she gets defensive for those she cares about, which is not many."

Percy rolled his eyes. "Yeah well, I just can't wait for this quest to be over, it'll mean never having to be around or talking to her again. Annabeth was right, the sky and sea never interact or get along, why should we?"

Amara stared ahead as she twisted her ring back and forth, anxious to hear what the satyr had to say next. "You don't mean that," Grover spoke after a few moments of silence. "Amara . . . she's had a rough past, Perce, sometimes, she lets it cloud her judgement and it gets the better of her at times."