[1] Recruitment

"I would like you to manage the boys' volleyball team."

You blinked, frozen for a while, somewhat unsure what to make of the sentence.

It had been nearly a week since you started at Shiratorizawa Academy as a second year student, having just transferred from Hanawari Academy in Tokyo.

Reasons for transfer: Let's not get into that right now.

It was already odd enough for a second year to enter Shiratorizawa, especially since the screening was extremely difficult. It was downright impossible to come in unless you had a recommendation or scored high grades in the entrance exam; which was why students don't usually transfer into the school. There were no entrance exams to enter second and third year.

Under normal circumstances it was impossible, but fortunately (or unfortunately) for you, your father was a strong alumni of the school, and he pulled the right ropes to help you get in.

After what happened at Hanawari, you promised yourself to remain as low-key as possible, focusing purely on academics and omitting most club activities that you deemed rather insignificant. But alas, here you were, being recruited.

"I, um, I'm not sure I'd be a good choice, sir," you told Washijo sensei.

Washijo brushed it off, "Nonsense. Who better than the daughter of the Iron Cannon?"

You groaned internally. Your father was a star student of Shiratorizawa way back when, but was most notably known as the super ace of the volleyball team. By his third year of high school, he was deemed the top wing spiker in Japan for his cohort and was immediately recruited upon graduating to be part of the national team.

"Um, well, I only just transferred sir. I-I'm still getting used to everything," you argued, trying to get out of it.

Washijo sighed, crossing his arms, "There's no need for your excuses. I know what happened to you. I know you're running away."

Your eyes widened, and you felt as if you were caught in a net.

"But, if you still love volleyball," he paused, "That's a pretty solid reason to up this role."

You gulped.

Washijo sensei stood up, leaving you in a trance. "I will leave it to you. But if you change your mind, we'll be at the court this evening."

With that, he left you frozen with the burden of decision-making.