[11] Struck a Nerve

They managed to win two out of three of the remaining sets, causing them to end in happiness. Bokuto was in one of his moods by the end of everything, so they just left like that, with him not even wanting to get your number anymore.

After you cleaned the jerseys and hung them, you told the team, "Ah, I can't get used to just how amazing the washing machines are here!"

"You're strange," Yamagata commented.

Over dinner that night, Semi asked you, "You're a really brilliant strategist, (L/n)-san. You seem to know a lot about volleyball. Do you play?"

The team anticipated your answer. At first you seemed awkward but you had grown rather comfortable with the team. So, you told them, "I used to."

"Used to? Why don't you play anymore?" Tendou asked.

You chuckled a little darkly, "Um, well, during my last game I got injured. I landed wrong after a solid jump and I had to get surgery done. Anyway long story short, it defected my jump, so I can't play anymore. I mean, how can you be a wing spiker if you can't jump?"

The table fell silent. Ohira broke it, "I'm sorry."

"It's fine," you replied. You had learnt to hold back tears when talking about your past.

"Is that why you left Hanawari?" Shirabu asked.

You looked up, eyeing him. You replied, "Yea. Technically."

"But why Shiratorizawa?" Goshiki asked.

You chose your words carefully. "It wasn't my choice. It was my father's. He's a strong alumnus and he helped me get in. But of course, it also had to do with the fact that I came from a pretty good school too."

They nodded understandingly. Yamagata was the one to ask, "Do you miss it? Volleyball, I mean."

You smiled, "Of course I do. To me it was more than just a hobby, or even a lifestyle. It was a prophecy. My whole family played it, and I had my future all planned out right in front of me."

You shrugged, "One moment can really change everything."

The table fell silent, unsure what to say.

You stood up, "Well, that's my sob story, nothing much to it really. Anyway, I will continue to work hard for you all. Excuse me."

~X•X•X~

It was the third time Ushijima found you like this. For some reason that night, he couldn't seem to stop thinking about you, worried that the team had hit a nerve. He often didn't care much about other people's emotions, especially when it came to words. The truth is the truth, even if it hurts.

So why did he care about your feelings so much?

You were again, lying down on the gym floor, this time with a pile of jerseys beside you. You had taken them off the rails and were supposed to fold them but you found yourself staring at the ceiling instead.

When you heard footsteps, you didn't even bother looking at who it was. You had an idea of who it might have been.

"(L/n)-san," Ushijima called. You smiled that your prediction was accurate.

"I'm contemplating life again. Sorry," you said.

He came closer, "I should apologize on behalf of the team. Sorry if we struck a nerve."

"What? Oh, it's fine. You would find out sooner or later anyway. I would have preferred you hear it from me," you said.

You sat up and asked him, "So, did you find something you could love more than volleyball?"