[33] Falling

First, there was silence.

Then a loud roar. The cheering came from the crowd, the bench, the bleachers, and soon enough the players. There was a surge of pure happiness that exploded, and all around, there were smiles, laughs, cries – some kind of overwhelming euphoria came like a wave that hit all at once, leaving the victors drenched in a rollercoaster of emotions that made them feel completely whole. The only problem?

It all happened on the other side of the court.

On your side, the wave that hit was cold and dark, and instead of feeling whole, you were left feeling empty inside. The other side of the court was only meters away, and yet it felt lightyears further, like a place that was completely out of reach.

It completely shattered your team.

Shiratorizawa, the 'undefeated champions', lost to a dark horse of the competition – the fallen victors, the clipped crows.

Your heart ached as you watched each player that dressed in maroon. Most cried, some dumbfounded, some accepting; and one of them looked completely stoic: Ushijima Wakatoshi.

'Couldn't he have looked at least a little bit upset?' you wondered.

When your team stepped up to face the demon coach, they didn't even look scared as they usually did, but rather just completely disappointed. The speech from the coach was simple too, telling them about a final meeting and getting on the bus right after the awards ceremony.

"Oh, and you'll be doing 100 serves when we get back," Washijo added one final time.

Just a simple sentence of their awaiting punishment and yet for some reason, that completely changed the atmosphere. Just words, and it was enough to spark the flame of determination in each one of them.

You couldn't help but smile as well.

Right before you made your way back, you managed to meet up with Nishinoya once more, this time giving him a warm hug and congratulating him for his victory.

"About time you made it to Nationals," you teased.

He growled at your remark, but eventually softened once you giggled at his response.

"I'll be watching you till the end, alright? Don't disappoint me," you told him.

Noya gave you a sturdy nod, "Won't let you down, cuz!"

"Well, good luck," you wished, taking a step back before landing your eyes on the entire Karasuno team. "All of you."

They nodded at your response, giving you a 'thanks', Tanaka giving an excited shout but as your eyes scanned through, you noticed the iconic first year duo were nowhere to be found.

"Where's your 9 and 10?" you asked.

Tendou suddenly appeared behind you, tapping your shoulder before gesturing to the other side of the court. "Wakatoshi seems to be on his way to threaten them."

You gulped, hurriedly rushing towards them just to make sure your boyfriend didn't choose to do anything irrational, but just as you arrived, you heard him say, "I will defeat you next time."

Stopping in your tracks a few steps back from them, you gave a warm smile. While the two younger boys retorted, Hinata yelling about beating him next time too and Kageyama mentioning about being better than Oikawa, Ushijima didn't respond, just turning on his heels and walking away.

You took this opportunity to hurriedly tell the two boys, "I'll be watching you two, further than just Spring High, so good luck, Hinata Shoyou and Kageyama Tobio."