[24] Strangers

There was less than a week left till the end of summer break and all you had done was procrastinate as much as possible. You only had one managerial duty to do over the summer – get new kneepads for the team – and yet you had completely forgotten until that day.

So you went to the nearest sports shop to look for the necessary items. As you browsed through the shelves, your feet froze upon hearing familiar voices.

"Wakatoshi, hurry up!" you heard Tendou exclaim.

"I am still browsing," Ushijima replied calmly.

But you were furthest from calm. As if on instinct, you immediately crouched down onto the floor and stealthily crawled further and further back, trying your best to avoid any kind of attention.

"Can I help you?" a voice asked you.

You looked up to find a tall boy who looked slightly older than you with porcelain skin, chocolate hair and chocolate eyes – and who was extremely pretty.

Damn, he's good looking.

He looked somewhat familiar, although you were certain you had never met him before. He was also wearing a tag, which indicated that he was a part-time worker of the shop.

Without warning, you grabbed onto his shirt and pulled him down to the ground, hiding him with you. You didn't want him attracting any attention towards your direction either.

"What are you doing?" he asked, surprised.

You shushed him. Finally you took a peek from the aisle and saw the two boys you were avoiding leave the shop. You sighed in relief.

"Okay, he's gone," you got up along with the shop assistant you had pulled. "I'm sorry, I was avoiding someone."

"Who? An ex-boyfriend~?" the pretty boy asked.

You groaned, "Huh no. It would be far less complicated if that was the case."

"Then who?" the boy asked again.

You sighed, "This guy from my school. I um, kind of tried to kiss him and he rejected me and it's just really awkward now because we're friends – wait, are we friends? Well, we're colleagues? I don't even know. I mean I guess I've never really thought about it—"

"Oo, do you like him~?"

You bit your lip, "Unfortunately. I-I don't know. I've been trying to get over him. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do." You widened your eyes, suddenly realizing you had spilled all your problems and secrets to a stranger.

"I'm sorry for bothering you. I'll leave now," you said, but the boy stopped you, "Hang on. Do you want to talk about it?"

"What?" you asked, somewhat dumbfounded.

"Well, seeing as you just blurted everything out to a random stranger, it seems to me you're really just desperate to talk about it."

You scratched the back of your head, "Yea, well, I guess so?"

The pretty boy smiled, "Well, I've got my lunch break now. Why don't we head over to a café and talk things out?"

"R-really? Why are you doing this to me?" you asked.

The boy replied, "Well, summer break has been pretty boring, and I can never turn down some hot gossip~!"

You laughed, "Alright then."

As you two exited the doors, he spoke again, "So, before you spill anything further, it seems reasonable to get your name first?"

You chuckled, "Well, considering I've already spilled too much, why don't you call me by my first name? It's (y/n)."