[5] Met His Match

Within one week, you were already functioning extremely well. In time for the Inter High preliminaries, you managed to clean the banner, recruit a cheer squad and even organize transportation in advance, which made both coach Washijo and coach Saito impressed. On top of that, you assisted the rest of the team for any kind of extra practice, volunteering to help pick up the balls and even mop the court for them.

"She's pretty reliable," Ohira mentioned, to which the rest of the team agreed.

Ushijima watched as you did your managerial duties.

Unfortunately for you, you weren't allowed to skip classes to attend their preliminary matches, as you weren't a registered member. That is, until the finals, since most of the school was invited to go in order to support the team.

Every previous match seemed to be an easy win for your team, and kept them on guard, although they felt a little bit uneasy by Aoba Johsai, the school they would be up against in the finals.

"Oikawa is a third year now, and his skills are as good as ever," Shirabu mentioned the night before.

"Yea, his serves are super intense," Yamagata mentioned.

"Not surprising. He is the best overall player in the prefecture after all," Kawanishi said.

"Sorry but," you began, causing everyone to turn to you, "who is Oikawa?"

Semi filled you in, "He's the captain and setter of Aoba Johsai. Extremely gifted player."

"He's definitely the person you need to watch out for," Goshiki said.

"He can bring out the 100% functional capacity of his spikers," Ohira said.

"Here's his picture," Goshiki said, showing you a picture of a boy on his phone. And just like that, you lost all concentration of what the team was saying. They kept talking but it just sounded like noises, because you were distracted by the picture before you.

"(L/n)-san?" Semi asked, noticing your lack of expression. "Are you okay?"

"Damn," you began. "He's so good looking."

And just like that, the team's expression turned from concern to absolute judgment towards you – especially the captain.

"Oikawa is an effective player, but he is prideful and childish," Ushijima said, then turned to face you. "You have bad taste in men."

You raged at his statement. "Stop judging my taste!"

"I am only being honest," he replied.

You stuck your tongue out and pulled on an eye, "Boohoo, no one asked for your opinion."

Ushijima bluntly replied, "You are also prideful and childish."

"Well, you're righteous and prudent."

"Oh, thank you."

"That wasn't a compliment!"

"But it is good attributes."

"You're pissing me off!"

"I don't understand why."

"Are you stupid or an actual idiot?"

"I am neither."

"That was a rhetorical question!"

"Why ask a question if you don't need an answer?"

"You are unbelievable."

As you two continued to argue, the team only watched in amusement, laughing to themselves at the clash of personalities between the two.

"Don't you think Wakatoshi is different around her?" Ohira whispered to his teammates.

"He's a lot chattier," Yamagata said, smirking.

"Well of course!" Tendou commented, "He's finally met his match."

~X•X•X~

The whistle blew, signifying yet another glorious victory for Shiratorizawa. You cheered with your school as you smiled at the new champions, waving from above. A few of them smiled back at you, bumping a fist in the air.

In less than two months, they would be heading to Nationals.

That night, the coach announced there would be a practice match every week until Nationals, which meant they would have to prepare to face good opponents every single weekend. The coach asked for your help in managing the logistical aspects of the games, including requesting food and lodging for the teams who would come by if necessary.

You nodded understandingly.

You worked hard for the next few weeks, ensuring all necessary arrangements required. Over dinner the next day, the team discussed your progress. You didn't have dinner with them, and you haven't since your conflict with Ushijima. But since then, Ushijima attended every team dinner, no longer running laps after practice.

"Wakatoshi-kun, you're no longer running laps after practice?" Tendou asked. "You have dinner with us instead?"

"Yes," Ushijima replied.

Tendou poked him, "Oh why? (L/n)-san's words got to you huh? You didn't want to be a shitty captain, huh?"

"It's not because of her," he stated, eyebrows furrowed.

"Whatever you say, captain."

"Speaking of, she's doing a really good job lately, right?" Ohira asked his teammates, to which they nodded in agreement.

"She's super efficient," Kawanishi added.

"And I love that she prepares drinks and towels for us even during regular practice! It's so great," Goshiki exclaimed.

"What do you think, Wakatoshi-kun?" Yamagata asked.

He looked up and told them honestly, "She is doing her job, but if I am being honest, I still don't see why we need her."

Safe to say, the team was pretty disappointed by the unconvinced captain.