[21] Serving

Soon enough, summer break came about. At the final team dinner, right before the break would start, the team began discussing their plans.

"Ah, finally summer break! I can relax~!" Tendou said.

"We still have practice," Kawanishi reminded.

Tendou brushed it off, "Ah, it's fine. No more school though!"

"That's true," Shirabu agreed.

"And we get to go home," Ohira smiled.

You paused however, unsure if the same applied for you. Of course you could go home, but what was the point if no one was around, right?

As you ate alone in silence while the rest were talking, you didn't seem to notice olive eyes staring at you, wondering why you looked broken.

That night, you called your father, wondering if there was any chance of him returning to Miyagi soon enough. He no longer worked overseas, but he was still stationed in Tokyo, and you hadn't seen him for far too long now.

You knew your eldest brother would be back from university for a week during the second week of your break, so you made a mental note to return then. Otherwise, you assumed you'd probably have to stay with your grandfather or aunt, or just home alone.

You sat down on a bench in the dark of the night that was strategically located near the volleyball gym, and began dialing your father's number.

"Dad?" you asked once it stopped ringing, but he didn't pick up – going into voicemail instead.

You sighed, but left a message. "Hey dad. Just letting you know my summer break is starting tomorrow, so I was wondering if you'll be back home any time soon? Um, or not. I-I might just go somewhere else if that's the case. It's not all bad, after all."

You paused, frowning before continuing, "Anyway, call me back. I love you."

You hung up, sighing heavily – just a bit upset that you might be spending the summer break alone for the most part. You turned around to head to the dorms, but jumped immediately at the sight of a tall figure looming in the dark.

"Shit!" you yelled, but eventually calmed down, hand against your heart, "You scared me."

Ushijima was unsure why he stood there. He was just passing by when he noticed you, seemingly upset and overheard the conversation, or rather message that you sent. He didn't want to directly confront you, but something deep inside of him just needed to make sure you were okay.

"Sorry," he apologized. "You're not going back home?"

You blinked, realizing he had heard you. You shrugged, "I'll probably go stay with my aunt or grandpa and go home during the second week when my brother's back from university."

"Right," he said, nodding slightly.

You asked, "And you?"

He replied, "I will be home."

You smiled, a little jealousy in your expression, "That's fun."

"Yes," he said, monotonously.

You eyed him, "Is that all?"

"Oh, yes," he answered, unsure how else to respond. You walked past him, unsure what to say and so, began to head to your dorm when he stopped you again, "(L/n)-san."

He continued, "Do you mind helping me with practice?"

You smiled, "I'll never say no to that."

~X•X•X~

"I want to practice my serves. Please check the end line if it remains in bounds or not."