[29] Impressing

"Hey dad."

Your father crossed his arms as if to assert some kind of authority before eyeing the boy beside you, "Well, who might this be?"

With sweat trickling down your forehead, you gulped but braved yourself to introduce him. Gesturing to Ushijima, you said, "This is Ushijima Wakatoshi. My b-boyfriend?"

"You sounded unsure," Ushijima whispered to you.

You snapped, "Shut up."

Ushijima bowed in respect and your father gave a cheeky grin. "Well, why didn't you tell me we had company? Thank god I made extra."

"Oh no, Wakatoshi is not staying for dinner," you clarified, waving your hands frantically.

Your father cocked his head, "Why not? Come in now. Please. I would love to know more about the boy who stole my daughter's heart."

"Leave, please," you begged Ushijima, gripping onto his arm desperately.

"You know I can hear you," your father noted, raising a brow at you.

Ushijima nodded, "I will stay, if you let me."

"WHY?" you were dumbfounded.

He shrugged, "It's rude to turn down an invitation."

"God damn it, why are you so righteous?" you glared at him.

~X•X•X~

You couldn't help but feel the slight tension in the air. Despite your father's friendly invitation, it was obvious he wasn't too fond of the idea that you had a boyfriend. He was still extremely protective of you, especially since you were his youngest and only daughter.

But Ushijima was completely calm and collected. While most boyfriends tend to find it rather unsettling to meet their girlfriends' fathers for the first time, Ushijima seemed completely unaffected.

"So, Ushijima-kun, how have you been treating my daughter?" your father asked, causing you to scoff.

"Oh my god," you rolled your eyes. It was pretty obvious your father was turning this into an interrogation.

Ushijima swallowed his bite of food gracefully. He answered, "I would like to think I've done a good job."

"You would like to think, huh? Interesting, interesting," your father narrowed his eyes, nodding slightly as if trying to intimidate Ushijima, albeit failing completely. He continued, "And you think you're good enough for her?"

"Dad..." you warned, glaring at him judgingly.

Ushijima answered anyway, "Yes. I believe so."

"Wow, you sure talk big," your father remarked, disliking his answer.

"I only say so because I will do everything in my power to be good enough for her," Ushijima explained, which made your heart melt a little.

"Aww," you blushed, rubbing his arm in affection.

Your father, however, was not impressed. He tried pushing harder, "Are you sure you aren't going to leave her?"

"What the hell dad?" you asked, eyes widened.

"Are you sure you're going to stay till the end?" he agitated further.

You panicked, "Dad, chill out. We've only been going out for a few weeks!"

"Yes."

Ushijima's reply was simple, just a single word but the meaning it carried meant so much. Both you and your father were dazed by his answer, which not only sounded serious but also genuine.