24.Dates & Sisters

Darius Dixon

I stood in front of Jason's door. Shifting my weight from one foot to the other.  Jason was having dinner with me for the first time since we hit reset. So I was nervous and hopeful that he would consider sleeping over at my place. Waking up alone in my house always made me feel like there was a gaping hole in my soul. Which was stupid because I didn't need anyone. I had grown up alone in foster homes since I was two. So why was it all of a sudden I needed someone, no not someone Jason? Why did I need him to be over at my house constantly?

I knocked brown mahogany door yet again. After some shuffling and muffled voices the door opened. Jason stood there in a black shirt and black jeans with some socks on his feet and no shoes. The whole black everything was truly Jason. He was always trying to look invisible. An approach I should have taken instead of wearing the mustard yellow shirt I had on and the whitewash jeans.

"My parents want to talk to you." He said studying my face for a reaction.

I expected they would eventually but I didn't think it would be this early. I chewed my lip for a second before looking at him and asking.

"Does it have to be today? Or now even?" I asked feeling my palms moisture with sweat.

"Well not now. Mum is in a mood. She doesn't approve of this." He said rolling his eyes. A gesture that made him appear so immature and more like Mason and less like him.

"Okay. Do you want me to wait in the car?" I asked wondering if that was rude.

"Yeah just give me a minute." He said before turning to go back further into the house.

I got into my car and sat there nervously waiting. I was about to wait outside when my phone's buzzing managed to draw my attention away from it. I slipped my phone out of my pocket and immediately felt anger boiling in my throat when I noticed who was calling.

Olivia. I placed my phone face down on the dash and stepped out of the car. Jason's front door was now locked and it looked like there was no one coming out anytime soon. For some reason, Olivia's call jump-started my anxiety and my thoughts were now running wild.

I started thinking about all the negative scenarios. Like maybe Jason's parents were telling him I was a bad influence or bad for him. Maybe they were trying and succeeding in convincing him that I was not good enough. If Olivia's parents could convince her and carol that I was not good enough then why couldn't Jason's parents? I paced back and forth pulling at my hair while I really thought about the implications of it all. If Jason was not coming then I would truly be alone in the world. I was just starting to not feel alone. I was just starting to feel like someone would always be there for me. I tugged just a little more at my hair.

That's when I felt Jason's warm fingers circle my wrists in a firm hold. I looked up at his worried concerned face. I felt slightly better because maybe now that he had seen me worried he would delay the inevitable telling me his parents didn't want us together. Or him having to choose me or his family. And obviously, I would be the second choice.

"Hey," His deep baritone voice wafted into the silent space as he pulled my hands away from my head.

I looked at his face now. He looked concerned and not at all like he was going to break my heart. Not like I knew what that was Olivia had looked happy to see me before I had confronted her. Maybe if I hadn't confronted her then she wouldn't have cut me out of her life.

"Are you okay?" Jason asked after a somewhat long pause.

"Yeah? I mean yeah, let's go. Let's get in."  I said pulling my hand away and getting into the car.

Jason walked round to the passenger side and got in. He didn't say a word as I started the car. Then just before I switched the gears to back out he spoke.

"You know if you don't want to we don't have to." He said calmly like some sage old wizard or monk in a SciFi movie.

"No no, I want to. Please don't say you don't want to." I begged in a moment of weakness.

"Hey, what's going on? You were fine when I opened the door, what happened?" He asked placing a hand on my knee closest to him.

"I was just worried that..." I trailed off as my phone rang yet again.

I was glad that it did because maybe then I could get out of this conversation. And I could prove to Jason I was serious and a good guy before he told me he couldn't see me any more. After all, Olivia and carol only abandoned me after I confronted Olivia.

I answered without even looking at the caller ID. I muttered a quick hello before the whisper of Olivia's voice sent me spiralling back into anxiety territory

"What do you want."

"Look, Dee ..."

"Don't call me that. In fact, why are you even calling me."

"I need your help."

"Go get help from someone else." I spat bitterly into the phone.

She didn't reply but I could hear a rough male voice in the background screaming something that sounded like death threats and really aggressive banging of wood. The ugly words I had, caught in my throat once I figured Olivia was in actual danger. My heart was now pounding as I listened to the other side of the phone and still nothing. I wanted to say something but I didn't know if she was hiding so saying something would give away her location.

I texted her to not hang up and send me the address of where she was. Then without even thinking twice, I reversed with such fiver and energy I didn't have before. I had actually forgotten Jason was in the car until he asked if everything was alright. I stopped the car turned in my seat to face him.

"Do you mind if we take a detour before dinner?" I asked.

He just arched an eyebrow as if telling me to go on.

"My little sister is in trouble. Or we could reschedule?" I asked the last part reluctantly hoping he would not choose that.

"A detour is fine." He said before buckling his seat belt and sitting up. Always the man of few words.

 Always the man of few words

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.