A Big Reveal

I screamed the loudest I've ever screamed in my life and wrapped my arms and around Chase. He was smiling and laughing.

He turned the cake platter around so everyone could see the pink candies that were all over.

"It's a girl!" I said, jumping all over the place. "It's a girl it's a girl it's a girl!"

There were a lot of surprised faces. I guess everyone was predicting a boy, I thought. Little did they know how I would be right from day one!

"No way! I was finally right! I can't believe it!" Mom said, coming over to hug me, along with Chrys, who was now taking off her pirate pin.

"So much for giving you the boys hand-me-downs," Chrys said, chuckling.

"I'm just going to keep hugging you and basking in the glory of finally predicting the correct gender of someone's baby!" Mom said, hugging me a little tighter.

"Who's ready for cake?" Chase shouted over the chaos.

Everyone took a paper plate and Chase gave them each a slice, beaming ear to ear. I put my arm around him.

"You're excited? I thought you wanted a boy," I said.

"Well, I did, but I think I'm just down for you know, that thrill of something new. I know a little about raising boys because of Ollie and Blaze, but being the dad to a baby girl would be a complete change-up! I'm ready to dive right in."

"Just like me, into that big piece of cake you're cutting!" I said.

He handed me a piece of pink cake and scooped some of the pink chocolate candies on top of my slice. I took a bite and immediately tasted that sugary buttercream frosting I loved so much.

"Girl, I really did get these blue braids for nothing!" Destiny said, running over to us.

"No, you didn't. Because they look amazeballs and you know it!" I said.

She blushed a little and took a piece of cake. "Yeah...I do look good with blue hair, don't I?"

"In the most platonic of ways, I have to say yes," Chase said behind me. "But what really looks great is the job you did on my girlfriend's hair."

"I do really like the ribbons," Chrys said, coming over with Cler. "So, are you guys gonna just compliment each other's hair all day or talk about the fact that now we can shop? You can finally fulfill your dream of getting all those cute girl dresses we looked at last year!"

"Oh hell yes! I need to blow money on a whole bunch of things I don't need!" Destiny said.

We all laughed and talked while putting our legs back in the pool. We all shivered and tired not to let any stray pieces of cake fall in. Mom gave me a goodbye hug right after we sat down.

"Gotta go finish packing and getting all the boxes in order. You guys sure you don't need any extra help cleaning up?" she asked.

"No worries, Mrs. E! We'll take care of everything," Chase said.

Once Mom was gone, the rest of the adults started to trickle out one by one. Pretty soon it was just the teens: myself and my friends, along with Chrys and her friends.

We finished our cake and wound up having a dance party with ourselves and the four babies that were there.

Even Jace stayed behind. I guessed it was because Chase made him, but I didn't expect him to dance with us. He stayed kind of on the outside of the group, bopping Blaze up and down on his hip.