001 | I Am Equal

Y/N's POV:

"Y/N, you should go and wash your brother's clothes while they're away at school!" My mom screamed as I laid down the last clean plate in the cupboard. I always had to do stuff: clean the house, cook, and take care of my brother and his friends—I was simply a maid. "Why do I always have to clean with you, and why can't I play as much as Joseph?" "Because Joseph will be a strong man, he will work and take care of his family and earn money, and we will take care of the children."

Thinking about this fact, I find it rather unfair. Just because I am a girl doesn't mean I shouldn't get a proper education or should automatically bear children to then look after the family and clean the house. They make it look like we're the weak ones, which we are not.

I still did what my mom asked me to do since I should always show respect to her. My mother takes care of me, gives me food, and teaches me things that may come in handy later on.

After I cleaned Joseph's clothes, I asked if I could play outside, which I could. So I opened the door and ran around on bare feet, clearing my head and taking in the fresh air. Sometimes I would be in our house so long that it would get hot, making me beg for a window we didn't have. "Y/N, I haven't seen you outside in a long time; where have you gone?" Madame Ricci inquired, surprised, as she hung wet clothes on the washing line. "Yes, I was mostly inside because of all the things I had to do, but I can finally come outside!" I exclaimed happily. "Well, then, go have fun! I will go to your mother and chat a little with her so she doesn't notice you being gone for a long time.'' She winked at me, making me jump in the air out of happiness and run away as fast as possible to where the forest began.

I always had a secret hiding spot behind a big branch that belonged to an old tree that fell during a thunderstorm. It had a big hole in it where I could hide and think about anything I wanted.

When I sat down, I looked around, seeing a few bugs running next to my feet and hearing an owl that hid behind a few leaves. They can be free; why can't I? "Why can't I be free but you can?!" I screamed angrily at the owl, who now looked around, listening to what I had to say. "You can fly around without having to listen to anyone; you can do whatever you want without others telling you not to!" I stood up and screamed harder. "Just because they hunt doesn't mean I can't do that!" Before I finished my sentence, I heard a little rabbit in my left ear, around two feet away from me. I opened my mind and let all the force I had flow through my veins, radiating from my body, letting it hit the rabbit and make him scream from pain and fear while trying to hit whatever he thought was attacking him. I let more force, now from all my body, hit the rabbit, so I could now do whatever I wanted with him. I let it float through the air before snapping its neck and letting it die on the ground. "Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I should be treated any differently if I truly am the higher!" I screamed again to the owl as he looked at the dead rabbit I killed to prove a point, seeing him for the last time in this state before bugs crawled on it and flies flew to it and ate him up until he was gone, taken in by nature as it first was created by it.

I didn't feel sorrow for just killing an innocent rabbit. I was rather confused about what I just did; I didn't know I could do that, nor did I know how I did it.

Dimitri's POV:

This was the only free day I had gotten in years, and I wasn't planning on wasting it! The moment I woke up, I put on my clothes and ran as fast as I could through the forest, where nothing but trees were. The wind lay upon my fingers, making it feel like I cut through them, making me feel powerful and like nothing could stop me.

Until I heard voices. This was supposed to be a forest, miles of only trees and wild animals—why do I hear humans talking? I stopped in my tracks and followed where the sounds came from. Finding a village that looked like it came from the 1600s, which didn't make sense, I thought maybe this was one of those villages no one knew about, so it was left like this and never evolved into what is now normal.

"So how is Y/N doing? I haven't seen her outside a lot until this morning.'' A brown-haired woman asked another who was sewing a shirt together. ''She is fourteen; she slowly needs to learn how to look after her future family. That's why I let her do way more than before, so her kids, later on, will have a good life and so she can take care of them.'' "That makes a lot of sense, yes, but she is so pale, she should at least have a window open while being inside. I just saw her run, going near the forest; she looked so happy.''

So a little girl is close to the forest? The forest is dangerous; there are a lot of animals that sometimes just take a little bite out of humans getting too close. They obviously won't think otherwise when they find a child dead near the forest. And even so, I was hungry and looking for a snack.

I looked around, trying to find the girl those women were talking about. It was easier than expected. Not even a minute after looking around, I heard a child's voice scream into the trees. So I followed the screaming and saw how she communicated with an owl, listening to what the human girl had to say. "Just because they can hunt doesn't mean I can't!" She now screamed even louder, with so much anger inside her that kept growing.

Before I knew it, a rabbit was thrown into the air, his neck snapped, and he was thrown back down, never to be touched by the girl's mind again. On my free day, I find a treasure: a child so strong that, in human form, she could easily kill a rabbit out of anger with only her mind.

Her mind looked like it was working just like Jane's did, but this wasn't only the case for her. She could physically make them feel pain without touching them. This girl, along with Jane and Alec, could be the next secret weapon, as not even shields could protect themselves against her physical abilities.

I kept watching her until her mother shouted her name, trying to find her so she could get cooking. So I left her alone, ready to go back to the Volturi and tell them about my finding; maybe they will give me more days because of how lovely this hidden treasure is.