Chapter One

Gravity
Chapter One
___________________________________

      Her head leaned against the window as she watched the scenery pass by quickly. Old country music played throughout the truck quietly, thankfully masking the tension that surrounds the vehicle like a thick fog.

"Do you want to stop and grab something to eat before we get home?" Her father asked, breaking the silence for the first time during their three-hour drive.

"No." She mumbled, moving her head away from the window. They were now driving through Forks, meaning that they would be arriving home soon.

"Are you sure? I haven't gone shopping yet." He glanced over at his youngest child.

"I'm not hungry." She sighed, fixing the beanie that was placed over her messy hair. "I am tired though so can we just get home so I can sleep." She muttered, leaning her head back against the headrest.

"You just woke up four hours ago." Her father chuckled.

"Yeah, and I'm still tired." She replied, wrapping her arms around herself tightly.

"You've been tired a lot lately, huh? Your mother told me that you slept for twenty-something hours yesterday." He mentioned casually.

"She's being overdramatic." She said, rolling her eyes. "It was only twelve yesterday." Her mother wasn't being overdramatic but technically speaking, it was the other day and not yesterday.

"You and your brother could both sleep all day if allowed." He shook his head. "Speaking of– has he told you that he's been working out?" He questioned curiously.

"No," she sighed, growing irritated from the conversation. "Mom mentioned it though. Why?"

"Just asking." He shrugged. The conversations stopped after that. Thankfully.

Soon the truck pulled into the driveway leading to the small house. She immediately noticed that her father had rebuilt the porch and repainted the house. She pushed open the passenger door and climbed out, her brown eyes scanning the familiar scene. It had been a long time since she was last there.

"Eli!" She heard the familiar voice before she saw the culprit it belonged to. Suddenly warm arms were being wrapped around her shoulders in a hug and her face was being pressed against a warm chest.

"I can't breathe." She huffed, pushing her older brother away from her. He stood back with a stupid grin. Her eyes scanned his now bulky build and her nose scrunched up– he looked completely different from the last time she saw him.

"What?" His eyebrows furrowed.

"You cut your hair." She frowned, her hands reaching up to touch his now chopped hair. It no longer hung over his forehead and into his eyes. He looked older than he was with his new athletic build and haircut. "And got buff. You know that anabolic steroids are really bad for you right?"

"I'm not on steroids." He chuckled, pushing his younger sister's hand away from his hair. He walked towards the truck and helped their father grab her suitcases. "Damn, El, did you bring your whole bedroom?" He teased.

"I tried." She replied sarcastically, going to grab her backpack from the passenger floorboard. She had brought more than what was probably necessary but she wanted to be prepared for her long stay. She would be staying there for the whole summer and wouldn't be making any planned trips back to Tacoma.