32. How are you feeling?

The sound of Harry shouting from outside caused all three of us to worry. Mary turns pale and hurries out of the sofa alongside Arthur, who went after his rifle.

"Where is Harlow?" I ask, looking all around, but no sight of her.

"She went outside," Mary says as we all go out on the porch. Harry comes running towards us, his eyes wide open, and his face all pale as he is panting, and then he comes into the arms of his mother.

"What's wrong?" Mary asks her boy.

"It's Harlow. She isn't well," He says, and I notice a terrible scratch on Harry's arm. Not long after, Harlow comes strolling towards us, and Arthur raises his rifle to aim.

"No!" I say and take a hold on his arm.

"Don't kill her," I beg him.

"I am not. I am just going to bring her down. She will heal," He says and aims again. I hold my hands above my ears to avoid the sound of the shoot and turn around to face the door. I jump as the shot rings out. I take a few seconds before I decided to face the other way.

I hate Harlow being hurt; it's awful. She is on the ground, meters away. Mary brings her boy inside to clean his wound, but I decide to go after Arthur down to Harlow. She is still awake but now back to herself.

"How are you feeling?" Arthur asks, bending down on his knee next to Harlow, who has a gun wound to her leg.

"Great," She sighs, looking up at the dark sky, but her gaze ends up at me now, but for a short second. Until she looks the other way as she seems ashamed.

"This always worked on Noah," Arthur grins as he pats his rifle. I think he has some twisted sense of humour.

"Come on," Arthur reaches Harlow his hand and pulls her up. He helps her over to the house and puts Harlow down in the kitchen. Mary is looking all over her son for any wounds.

"I'm sorry." Harlow apologizes to the little boy.

"It's okay," He smiles.

"Now I am going to get a cool scare," He sounds more excited than anything. His mother does not seem happy about what he said, but as long as he is okay, that is what is essential. Mary and Harry leave the kitchen to give Harlow some space.

"I will find my tools. Just give me a moment," Arthur says as he continues looking.

"Are you okay?" I ask, sitting down in the chair in front of her.

"Yes, he just hit flesh. Give it an hour and it will be as good as new," She says, too ecstatic. I look at her, wishing I could read her mind. There is something wrong because when she turns, she is not like this. She is hiding something.

I grab my chair to sit closer to her. The movement made the wound on my chest hurt, but I don't care right now. I stare right into her eyes and those black can steal my heart each time they look at me.

"What is wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing," Harlow says, looking me deep in my eyes, her eyebrows raised. She is lying to me.

"Okay, let's get that bullet out of your leg," Arthur says but then freezes as he realizes something was happening in here.

"I can come back," He says, pointing at the door.

"No, it's fine," I smile to him and get out of my seat to leave the kitchen. Mary and Harry are resting on the couch. I join them by sitting down on a chair. Not long after we are listening to Harlow groaning in pain sometimes, but it stops quickly.

Harlow comes out limping after a while and I watch her disappear out the front door. There is something wrong. It has been ever since I woke up from the shoot her brother gave me. She is acting strange and avoiding me as much as she possibly can. I don't get it. Did I do something wrong? Say something wrong? I want an answer, honestly.

I have no idea what is bothering her. It can be so many different things. It can be her illness that is going to end her life. Perhaps it's the fact her brother nearly killed me or that she hurt Harry. It's so many options that may be more that I don't even know about.

"What's wrong, River?" Mary asks me, and I shrug.

"I can tell that there is something on your mind,"

"I just wish things were different," I try to smile.