36. She's beautiful

Harlow and I haven't talked since I struck her. I know she can take the pain, but it doesn't mean that it was fair to do that to her. I couldn't contain my rage, but what she said hurt even though she only told me the truth. It doesn't mean that I've got to like it.

Yet, the moment we had before I hit her was unreal. Never before have I ever felt so alive. How her lips suited mine perfectly, how gently she touched me, how she turned every restraint, every self-control, into fragments.

As terrified as I am, she managed to leave a mark on me. She put herself in my heart without even asking for permission. She went through the gates as if they were wide open.

We wanted to start driving as soon as it got dark. We've been on the road for a couple of minutes now, and I can't wait to see my parents again.

I heard Harlow and Arthur having a little argument outside before we left. It was about my parents being picked up. She feels it's a bad idea because someone could be waiting for us to appear.

Harlow may be right, but my parents should have the chance to ensure that I'm all right, and I want them to be safe. I don't trust the government. I miss them, and I'm so excited to see them.

"River, do you mind coming forward to lay in the direction of your parents ' home?" Arthur asks from the driver's seat. The Jeep has seven seats in the vehicle—two in the front, two in the middle, and three in the far end. Where I'm currently hiding from Harlow, she is sitting in the middle next to Harry.

"Of course," I clear my throat as I release the seat belt and slip past Harlow and Harry.

"Just fill it in," Arthur explains, referring to the monitor on the dashboard. It's a government car that's pretty fancy and brand new. I tap the screen, write in my home address, and tap okay. It's interesting to look at it.

All I want is her strong arms to hold me close and never let go. I want her warm lips to be on mine. Her black eyes were gazing at me; it's just something that draws me towards her eyes. Not sure if it's the elegance of the colour or just the way she looks at me. Intense comfort, softness, but there's still a look she gives me that hurts and it's the pain.

The suffering in her eyes causes my heart to break. When she sees me that way, what I want to do is hold her and take the burden away, but I can't. And even if I did, she'd drive me further away again.

I'm staring out the window, deep in the thought about my family. I hope they're all right. We keep passing streetlamps that light up in the evening. From time to time, a few cars surpass us, but mainly it is just trucks.

Not long after, Harry fell asleep in his seat and every time Arthur turns abruptly, Harry will drop to the left. Harlow will softly force his head back to the seat. It's a nice gesture of her to do. A smile always seems to creep onto my lips when it happens.

She's beautiful inside and out—no doubt about that.