43. How did you end up here?

Being in this position, waiting for food to be thrown down on the plate in the cafeteria, reminds me a lot of my time in prison. It's something I really do not wish to remember. I wonder how Eden is doing. Is she lonely? Is she okay? Perhaps even alive?

"River, it's your turn," Mary says, staring at me wearily.

"Oh," I take a step forward. A tall man puts some stew and rice on my plate along with a glass of water. I smile at the guy but don't get one in exchange.

"Come on," Mary says, and I trail after her and the rest of our gang through this crowded area. Williams is still in charge of us. We go after her to find a free bench.

"Have you seen Harlow?" I ask Mary, but she shakes her head, too busy with her boy, who seems a little scared of all these people in uniforms around him. I turn to my parents with a smile. I almost asked them if they had seen Harlow, but I doubt it.

"She's probably all right, River," Arthur smiles at me. He sits across from me at Lara's side.

"Yeah," I sigh, playing with my rice. Shouting at Harlow caused me to lose my appetite. It hurts because she believes she's going to die. She's been my anchor for so long and now she has fallen apart.

"Are you okay?" My mother looks at me distressed.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say, struggling to push food down my throat.

"I don't think you should worry too much about Harlow," Dad says as I roll my eyes.

"She doesn't seem like a person to be around," He shrugs. I appreciate their concern, but Harlow needs help.

"Harlow's hurting right now, she's not herself, and she needs encouragement," Arthur tells them. He gives me a little smile.

"She appears and behaves awfully," My dad insists. I don't remember my parents being so judgmental.

"Dad," I glare at him in resentment. What he says is disrespectful and hurtful. I know what he says is not valid. Harlow is wonderful, loving, and I am certain that her heart is genuine.

"What are your stories, then?" Lara asks to break the silence. She appears to be a cool and sensible woman.

"That may be too many," Mary laughs.

"Well, we've got some time," Lara shrugs and smiles at me. She has a kind, compassionate expression on her face compared to the rest of them here. Norman, in particular, seems like a grumpy old guy.

"What about you?" I ask Lara. It's great to have a friend here who knows the building and the people.

"What about me?" She wonders.

"How did you end up here?" I question, and her eyes gleamed up as soon as I asked her.

"My dad was thrown out of the army after his accident a year ago, and he took me here with him. It's just my dad and me," She shrugs.

"I was going to the military, but he didn't want me because of the way people were being treated, and he saw this position and decided to fight against the government instead," She explains.

"What precisely are you doing here?" Arthur questions curiously.

"We're trying to collect as many people as we can, people of different qualifications, military backgrounds, even farmers at this point. We've got a greenhouse in the basement to supply us with nutrition," She beams and appears immensely proud of this place.

"It sounds nice," Arthur looks as shocked as I am.

"Where did you get all the machinery you've got here?" I wonder.

"We have taken them from battlegrounds, stolen even," She says, unfortunately, but I nod in understanding.

"You want to head to the living room later?" Lara asks.

"May I come?" Harry asks, looking really excited.

"Of course," Lara answers with a smile.

"Of course," I smile.

"Do you mind bringing Harry by yourself?" Mary asks me.

"Yeah, I can handle him," I say as I turn to Harry with a smile.

"Okay. I need a long-deserved shower," She grins and we laugh at her.

"I'm not going to mind a shower either," My mum says, and my dad agrees. It would be good to get away from the rest of the group for a little bit. I know that Harlow is going to be tested by Landon and Arthur in a moment, but at least she's going to be in safe hands.

I need a minute to not worry about her. I need some activity and I can't remember the last time I could lower my shoulders without being terrified that anyone might shoot me in the back.