Chapter 1

•••

•••

"Welcome to Forks, Washington," Irene read the billboard. Her long wavy brown hair was loose. She was wearing jeans with black heeled boots. Her scarlet jacket was opened, revealing a white shirt. Her fierce and intimidating eyes were scanning the landscape through the car window. Even though the landscapes were scrolling by quickly, she could see every little detail. Legs crossed and body leaned again the car door, she looked at the teenage boy next to her. He had silver hair but his roots were still brown. He was looking similar to Irene. "Are you just about this one, brother?" she asked.

"Yeah, Forks' the perfect city," Tony answered not looking away from the road. "It's cloudy and not sunny. The city is not big and it's surrounded by the woods. It'll be easier for us to hunt,"

"But we're arriving in the middle of the semester," she pointed out. "All eyes will be on us,"

"I know but we don't really have a choice," Tony said and park in the driveway of a house. It was at the border of the city, where no one really lived. The house was modern, even looking expensive. It wasn't that big, just enough for two people. "Besides, we just have a few months before graduating. It'll be okay."

"If you say so, brother," Irene replied as she stepped out of the vehicle. She walked to the back of the car with Tony and took out their luggage from the trunk. They then walked and entered their new house. The decoration was minimalistic. Unicolour furniture and modern boards. Irene walked upstairs to her new room. Again, the decoration was simple. The dominant colours were white and grey. She put her luggage next to the wardrobe and walked to the window. Her brown eyes travelled to the landscape that was offered to her. A huge expanse of green. The trees were high and big. At some point, it could even seem threatening. Kilometres away, we could see habitations: houses, diners, etc. But everything was still surrounded by trees. It was like the city was traped by nature. Or maybe, nature was protecting the city, like a barrier. Telling anyone that wanted to cause trouble that they would not survive. Irene smiled at the thought. There was something odd about Forks. She liked that. She knew interesting things would happen. With her brother, they moved cities a lot. They never stayed too long so they couldn't really have the time to adapt right. But now, in Forks, Irene had the feeling that this time it would be different.

~~

"So," Tony said as he stepped out of the car. Irene did the same and put her backpack on one of her shoulders. Both of them then started to walk toward the entrance of the school. They just arrived at Forks high for their very first day of school. Tony smirked, looking at the building as he put his arm around his younger sister's shoulder. "This is Forks high, uh? I got a good feeling about this one,"

"You always say that, Tony," Irene rolled her eyes but smile nonetheless. They walked up the stairs and entered the building. All eyes, since they stepped out of their car, were on them. They were curious about the new kids. But they were mostly mesmerized by their beauty. Their features were perfect. Sharp jaws, piercing eyes, beautiful hair. They seemed unreal, ethereal, inhuman. People couldn't take their eyes off them. They were hypnotizing. The girl, Irene, was beautiful and the boy, Tony, was handsome. Both of them reminded them of a certain family who moved out a few months ago. Seemed like they were taking over the title of most beautiful student of Forks high.