Chapter 12

•••

•••

Irene was sat on a tree branch, at the treaty line. She was carefully watching the red mist around her fingers as she was playing with her hand. The sound of the water flowing down the river, colliding again the rocks and carrying away the little pabbles was soothing and calming. When she had a lot in her mind, the brown-haired vampire liked sitting there, listening to the water. Lately, the situation in Seattle was even worse. The coven and the Goodwin will soon have to do something. But fighting an army of newborns wasn't easy. Jasper told her that he had knowledge about how fighting newborns. He told her his story. Irene knew they had a chance, but their chances would be higher if she fully master her gift. Jasper even assured her that mental manipulation could be a big help. Irene had to master it as soon as possible. She had to. She had no choices. For her the Cullen's, for Bella, for her brother.

The vampire was then suddenly brought back to reality when a nauseous and horrible scent of wet dog filled her nostrils. Irene straightened a bit, looking down at the other side of the river. Soon after, a tanned shirtless teenager, pretty well built, with a tattoo on his right shoulder emerged from the trees. Jacob Black. He instantly looked up at Irene, having already smelled her scent and emotionlessly stared at her. It wasn't a glare but it wasn't a kind stare either. He then looked away and sat near the river. Irene leaned back against the trunk. She could feel from where she was that Jacob wasn't in a good mood. He seemed sad and guilty. But after kissing Bella without her consent he'd better be sad and guilty. He deserved the punch he got even though Bella ended up hurting herself. Jacob was desperate to gain but also save the girl he loved. But he wasn't doing things right. Besides, Bella seemed to already made up her mind. Jacob couldn't do anything with that. Even Irene was agreed with him about the fact that she should live her life first, Jacob's efforts were useless. Bella was decided to become a vampire.

"What are you doing here?" Jacob suddenly asked. Irene was quite taken aback. Was he trying to make a conversation? He probably wanted to distract himself from what he was thinking. It must be very bothering if he was willing to talk with his natural enemy.

"The sound of the water is calming," Irene found herself answering. She didn't even know why she did. She never had good experiences with shape-shifters. But weirdly, she wanted to help Jacob thinking about something else. After all, she had nothing against him. They had a few bad encounters but it was all about the treaty. Irene had nothing personal against the Black kid. The latter slightly smiled, agreeing with the vampire. He used to come here or to the beach to hear the water. It would calm him down. "You know,"

Irene said, jumping from the branch and walked to the river. Jacob was watching her, curious about what she was about to say.

"You can't change Bella's mind," the brown-haired vampire said, sitting near the river. Jacob stared transformed quickly into a dark glare. "You know how stubborn she is," Irene joked.

Jacob couldn't help but slightly chuckled. Irene was right. When Bella had something in her mind, nothing could change it. Jacob's smiled slightly faded as he recall what Bella told him. She would be turned after graduation. In a month.