Chapter 17

•••

"Hey," Tony softly said, taking Irene's wrist, stopping her from walking any further. They had just walked out of their house. The sun would set soon. Irene was about to spend the rest day at the Cullen's house and leave with them before dawn to go on the battlefield. Tony was about to go pick Bella and dropped at the meeting place they had set with Jacob so he could carry her to the mountain where Tony would be waiting for them. Tony looked a moment to his younger sister and then tightly hugged her, surprising her. She wasn't expecting him. But even though he didn't show it, he was more than worried for Irene. It would be the first time the twins wouldn't be on the battlefield together. It would the first time they would be separated during a battle. Tony didn't like the idea of Irene fighting while he was up in the mountains. Of course, he wanted to protect Bella and didn't want to leave her, but he also wanted to protect his sister. He was always looking after her. He hated the fact that he wouldn't be there with her when she would fight. If something happened, Tony would never forgive himself. "Be careful, okay?" He muttered as he put his head on his sister's, squeezing her in his arms. Irene embraced him back, tightly too.

"You too," Irene said. "Never lower your guards," she, too, hated to be away from her brother. She didn't know what could happen if she didn't look after him. What if Victoria find them? She couldn't do anything and she hated it.

"I should be the one saying that," Tony scoffed as she chuckled and broke apart from Irene. He then looked at Edward who was waiting for Irene at the tree line. "Protect her, please," Tony asked Edward. He knew Irene was fully capable of defending herself. But knowing that someone was also protecting reassured him.

"With my life," Edward nodded. Irene hugged her brother one last time before joining Edward and dashing off to the Cullen's.

Edward and she stayed the day at the Cullen's. Tony, Bella, Jacob and Seth left to the camp in the mountain. The day was silent. There was little of the conversation. All of them were focused on the upcoming battle. All of them were determined to win but also frightened to lose one member of their beloved coven. But they would protect each other. And they had the help of the shifters. So, everything would be fine. That was what they kept telling themselves.

The situation reminded Irene to the night of the battle in France. When the Argence's all died. It was the first time she fought for her life and for the life of the ones she loved. Irene was more than scared that the same massacre repeats itself with the Cullen's. But the difference this time was that the Cullen's were prepared. They all knew what they were fighting against, when they were fighting and how they should be fighting. They all trained before. They were prepared. That was the difference. It would make a difference.

The day and the night passed slower than it used the be. Edward stayed every second with Irene, enjoying his last moments of peace with him. It could stop himself to think that it would be the last time he sees her. He couldn't imagine a world without Irene, the love of his life. But he quickly shook the idea off of his head. He should keep the faith. Both of them will survive. All of his family will survive. Even the shifters will survive. He would make sure of this. He would protect them all.