Chapter 9

•••

•••

"Who was it? Someone, we know?" Alice asked, stressed. Edward was pacing, clearly worried and frustrated. Irene was sat on the arm of the couch, next to Rosalie. Esme was next to Bella as Carlisle and Tony were standing. The twins had received a call from Alice - who was very panicked and stressed - telling them to come to their house. It was night time and Alice was always joyful and smiley. The twins knew something happened. When they arrived at the Cullen's, Edward was already pacing and Bella was disturbed. The bronze vampire had smelled an unknown scent in Bella's room. A vampire, obviously. The Cullen had brought Bella to his house immediately.

"Just a stranger. I didn't recognise his scent," Edward answered, still frustrated.

"A nomad passing through?" Esme suggested. But it wasn't realistic. No vampires - other than vegetarians - would have left a human alive.

"A passer-by wouldn't have left Bella's father alive," Irene contradicted. Bella felt a chill running down her spine. The thought of a vampire attacking her dad was scaring her more than anything else. Esme noticed that and wrapped her arm around Bella's shoulder, trying to show support. At the same moment, Jasper and Emmett entered the living room.

"His scent disappeared about five miles south of Bella's house," the blond vampire said, coming to stand near his mate.

"Someone's orchestrating this," Carlisle said, thinking about the potential intruder.

"Victoria?" Bella asked but Alice shook her head.

"I would've seen her deciding,"

"It has to be the Volturi," Edward then said. This time, it was Irene who felt a chill running down her spine. She unconsciously put a hand on the pendent of her necklace. If it was true, Irene and Tony would be in deep trouble. The brown-haired vampire was mentally praying for the Volturi to not be linked with that.

"I don't think it's the Volturi either," Alice shook her head again. "I've been watching Aro's decisions too,"

"So we keep looking," Emmett said.

"We also take shifts," Carlisle decided. "Guarding Bella's house,"

"Another protection details?" Rosalie asked, annoyed. She was quite done with all of that. She felt that she was the only thing she was doing for two years.

"Rosalie," Esme warned. The blond vampire stopped herself to roll her eyes.

"We'll help too," Tony said, determined to protect Bella. But it only made Irene frowned.

"We?" Irene asked, not really agreed with what her brother just said. Tony looked sternly at his sister. His eyes glowed a silvery light as Irene's glowed a mix of silvery and reddish light. Edward looked into Irene's head and the red fog protecting her mind was less thick. But he still had no access to her mind.