Epilogue

•••

•••

Four silhouettes in black cloaks emerged from the tree line. Among them was a blond young girl. Her skin was as white as snow, contrasting with her red blood eyes. She was young, still a teenager. Jane. Next to her was a boy looking similar to her. But unlike her, he had black hair, as black as darkness. Alec. To his side was walking a tall, dark-haired man. His face was tough and intimidating. Felix. To the blond girl's side was a man with brown hair, he had a superior look on his face, acting as if he was better than anyone else. Demetri. On their way to the Cullen, they all caught sight of the Goodwin twins. A slight look of surprise took over their faces but it was quickly replaced with a mischievous smirk. Irene felt her stomach twisting with anxiety and fear. What would happen now?

When the Volturi reached the group of vampire, they took off their hoods.

"What a surprise," Jane mused, articulating her every word, looking maliciously at the Goodwin twins. "Irene and Tony Goodwin. It's such a pleasure to see you again," she smirked as Irene clenched her jaw.

"It appears you have joined a new coven. Was the last one not fitting?" Alec provoked. Irene clenched her jaw even more as a red mist started to engulf her hand and glowed in her eyes. She felt Edward squeezing her hand, trying to calm her down. They would stand no chance against the Volturi. Irene breath out as the red mist disappeared. Alec and Jane seemed satisfied to have angered her.

Jane then focused her attention on the leader of the Cullen coven: Carlisle.

"That is very impressive," she said. "I've never seen a coven escape an assault of this magnitude intact,"

"We were lucky," Carlisle only said, not wanting to mention the shifters.

"I doubt that," Jane retorted with a straight face.

"It appears we missed an entertaining fight," Alec smirked.

"Yes," Jane agreed, not looking away from the Cullen's. "It's not often we're rendered unnecessary,"

"If you'd arrived half an hour ago, you would have fulfilled your purpose," Edward said.

"Pity," Jane said, obviously lying. "You missed one," she pointed out with a malicious smile, looking at Bree, the newborn Carlisle and Esme spared the life.

"We offered her asylum in exchange for her surrender," Carlisle explained.

"That wasn't yours to offer," Jane said and then looked at Bree. "Why did you come?"

Bree was looking reluctant to answer. Suddenly, she screamed, falling on the ground, not bearing the pain. Jane was using her gift on her. With just one glance, she could make anyone suffer.

"Who created you?" she asked again but couldn't answer as she was screaming.

"She can't talk if you torture her like that," Irene coldly said, taking a step forward to Jane. Edward instinctively stopped her to walk further by tightening his hold on her hands. Jane tore her eyes away from Bree to look at Irene. The latter's eyes were as cold as ice.