Chapter 2

•••

•••

It was dark. The moon was high in the sky. The dark made the woods even more threatening and mysterious. The silence was unwelcoming. Entering the woods at night was like entering another world. A darker and dangerous world. A world with magic and supernatural beings. A world where killing was usual. A world where killing was a must. A world that human didn't even know existed. A scaring and terrifying world. But it was just normal to Irene. It was her world. Even if she hated it at first. With time, she learned to get used to it. She didn't have a choice. It would now be her world forever. Irene was walking in the woods, her brother not far behind her. She was silent, she wasn't saying her world. She was just listening to any sound that she could hear. The wind blowing, the leaves brushing. Irene was slowing walking, her steps were silent and careful. She didn't want to make any sound. Then, she heard the sound of a stick breaking and smelled the scent of an animal. A deer. She looked back at Tony and he motioned her to go for it. She nodded and silently walked toward a bush. She crouched down, hiding behind the leaves, and observed for a few second the animal. It was looking around, not aware of the upcoming danger. Not aware of the predator that was watching it. Irene inhaled the scent, enjoying the blood scent of the animal and sighed of content. The pulse of the deer's heart was resonating in her head. She closed her eyes to enjoy even more the sound of the heartbeat. Irene then opened her eyes and looked at the deer's neck. The second later, the deer was pinned on the ground by Irene. She looked a few second at the animal before biting the deer's neck. Irene's sharp fangs planted into the animal's flesh. Then, a thick and hot metallic liquid flowed into her mouth. As soon as it touched her palate, a huge feeling of euphoria and ecstasy took over her body. As soon as Irene tasted the blood, she couldn't stop herself. She wanted more and more. She only took off her fangs from the animal's flesh when there was no blood left. She sighed of satisfaction and stood up. She whipped the blood that was running down the corner of her mouth with her finger and turned around to look at her brother. Tony was leaned against a tree, arms crossed.

"Feeling better?" he asked.

"You have no idea," she walked towards him. "It felt like I didn't feed for months,"

Tony chuckled and mentioned to his sister to go. They ran in woods looking for other animals. But they were moving at an incredible speed. They were so fast that you eyes could follow them. They were like blurs, like wind blow. One second they were here, the other second they were at the extreme opposite. They were running so fast that it was like time slowed down. Nothing was slower, they were just incredibly faster. After a few minutes, the twins encounter a mountain lion. This time, it was Tony's turn. He launched himself on the animal and plated hin fangs in its flesh. The feeling he was feeling was the same than Irene's. Euphoria and ectasia. When Tony had sucked out all the blood of the animal, he whipped the blood out from his mouth. He then asked his sister if she would like to wonder a bit more in woods. She accepted. They wanted to know a bit more the surroundings. For a moment, they ran around the woods. They passed by a meadow and near a mountain. Now they were at a river. Irene jumped on a rock in the river and put her feet on the other shore. But she stopped in her tracks. She had an odd feeling. She scanned the surrounding carefully. They were something weird about this side of the river. The aura was different from the side of the woods they had already explored. The aura was threatening to them, to their kinds. Going further would be dangerous. Irene then breathed in, smelling the air. She grimaced, not liking the odour at all. It was horrible, irritating and disgusting. But she also knew that smell. And it confirmed her feeling about this side of the woods.