Chapter 13

•••

•••

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up..." Jessica started her speech as every senior and their families and teachers were sitting, listening carefully to what she was saying. Edward was sat in the crowd, dressed in its yellow graduation cap and gown. He had lost the count of how many time he had been graduated. It would be another cap in their graduation cap wall back in the Cullen's house. A few seats in front of him was sat Irene next to Tony. Edward watched her back as his mind recall the moment they share the previous night. When he was back to his house, he locked himself in his room, not communicating at all with his adoptive siblings and parents. He kept thinking and thinking about what happened. He kept wondering why this even happened. Because in the first place, it shouldn't have. His mate was Bella. Edward should only see her and only her. He was supposed to love her.

"This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, it's the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train, and get stuck somewhere chill. Fall in love – a lot," Jessica continued and her words resonated and touched Edward hard.

Mistakes. Falling in love again. What if he was wrong? Months ago he even propose to Bella. Months ago he was seeing him with Bella, married and living in their own house. He did love her. But it was in past tense. Because now, his heart wanted Irene and no one else. The connection Edward felt with Irene was stronger than the one he had with Bella. It was stronger than anything he even knew. What he had for Bella was nothing near what he had for Irene. It was something he couldn't even explain. But one thing he was sure of was that he had no longer romantic feelings for Bella. He realised it now. For the past two months, Edward and Bella grew apart. He didn't see it before but now he does. And looking back at those two months, he now understood why he wasn't as bothered as he was when Bella was with Jacob or when Bella was getting closer and closer to Tony. Edward didn't love Bella anymore. He loved Irene. He knew it. But he didn't know how it was possible. He alway thought Bella was his mate. Is it possible that his mate had changed?

After every senior student had received their diploma, they all get back to their families and walked out of the school.

Edward was in the school car park, near their car, with his family. Every senior students along with their families were spread outside the school, taking pictures, congratulating their friends. Bella was walking away with her dad and the Goodwin twins were meters away, talking to a teacher. Edward was leaned against his black volvo, looking distantly at Irene.

"Hey bro," Emmett said, putting his arm around Edward's shoulder. "You're alright? You seem off since yesterday,"

"Yeah...," he muttered and after a moment, looked away from Irene. The Cullen's were all looking at him, wondering what was happening with him. He might be worried because of the newborns army but something was telling them that it was something else. "Is... Is it possible for a vampire to change mate?" Edward then suddenly asked Carlisle - since he was the oldest of them all. His adoptive family all frowned, wondering why he thought that. To them, is question was quite strange.