Chapter 9

Going back to Math, I slumped in my seat after handing Ms. Crawford my homework.

"What's wrong?" Skylar asked, while looking at her paper.

"Nothing."

"Bullshit. Something's wrong. What is it?"

"Miss Brown please watch your language," Ms. Crawford lectured as a few snickers were heard. Skylar rolled her eyes and handed Ms. Crawford the homework that was due tomorrow.

"I'll tell you later," I whispered. She nodded and I checked my answers before giving Ms. Crawford the homework that was assigned today. I read and annotated Pride and Prejudice for the rest of the period before the bell rang. Skylar and I went to science class. Diana and Layla were already in their seats.

"Class today, I expect you to finalize your projects. Due to an abrupt change in schedule, we will begin presenting our projects on Monday. If you're already done with your slideshow and have finished the packet for extra credit, you may talk or do homework for other classes."

"We already finished the work that's required so I guess that we can do homework for other classes or just talk," Layla whispered.

"Since that's allowed, what happened, Sierra? Did something happen to you in the bathroom? Do you need, you know, sanitary products? I have some in my bag in case of emergencies. I also have a change of clothes in my locker if the situation is extremely bad." Skylar said, motioning to her backpack.

"No, that's not the case. It's just that this girl came up to me in the bathroom and was acting rather strange. She said something about me being Cole's girlfriend."

"You're not talking about Cole Rossi, are you?" Layla gasped. "The guy in our Italian class?"

"Obviously, I'm talking about him," I replied. "Who else in this school is named Cole? Isn't he popular?"

"Do you like him?" Skylar asked.

"What the hell? Of course not! What is it with people assuming that I like the Rossi brothers?"

"Well practically every girl has a crush on one of them unless they're not interested in romance, attracted to someone of the same gender, already dating someone, or got their heart broken. Cole and Gavin have dumped more girls than I can name. It's crazy," Diana remarked.

"What did the girl even say to you?" Skylar asked.

"She said something about seeing me and Cole on a motorcycle," I mumbled. I knew she wasn't lying when she said that, but I wasn't willing for the truth to spread so easily.

Suddenly, Layla burst into a fit of laughter. Mr. Johnson and the other students looked at her as her face turned a bright red. She stopped as Mr. Johnson scowled and some of the students giggled.

"What was that for?" Skylar asked, seeming startled.

"I'm sorry, but that has to be one of the most hilarious things that I've ever heard of. Everyone here knows that he doesn't let anyone go on his motorcycle. He treats that vehicle as if it's his own child. Who even said that?"

"She said that her name was Chloe. From what I can recall, she was wearing a skirt with a crop top."

"Ugh, her, Chloe Perez?" Skylar scoffed, crinkling her nose in disgust. "Don't listen to her. She's like that one person who claims to see things and spreads rumors around the school. You're new here, but if there's someone you know not to trust, it's her."

"She's also in the school play," Layla sighed, working on her math homework. "While I don't like her, I can't say that she isn't good with acting. She loves drama like the Rossi brothers love breaking hearts."